Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know questions about this come up all the time, and i searched the history but im still a little confused....

this is what i was looking at, http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/308208-granada-proportioning-valve-needed.html from 2001!!

I have the Granada brake setup on the front, a 9" in the rear with drum brakes and this master cylinder/distribution valve that has been on the car since ive had it (i dont know if its stock or a past upgrade from a previous owner)

When i was gathering all of the parts for the granada swap someone recommended using this adjustable proportioning valve for the granada brakes (already purchased through streetortrack.com)

So my question is, what end (front or rear) should this be installed with? should it be after or before the stock distribution valve? what 'percentage' should i be looking at when comparing front to rear brake pressure?

IMO it makes sense to place it after the stock distribution valve in line with the rear brakes... but i dont want to mess anything up! thank you VMF!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clicking on the pictures will take you to flickr where you can look at a larger version of the photo

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I know questions about this come up all the time, and i searched the history but im still a little confused....

this is what i was looking at, http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/308208-granada-proportioning-valve-needed.html from 2001!!

I have the Granada brake setup on the front, a 9" in the rear with drum brakes and this master cylinder/proportioning valve that has been on the car since ive had it (i dont know if its stock or a past upgrade from a previous owner)

When i was gathering all of the parts for the granada swap someone recommended using this adjustable proportioning valve for the granada brakes (already purchased through streetortrack.com)

So my question is, what end (front or rear) should this be installed with? should it be after or before the stock proportioning valve? what 'percentage' should i be looking at when comparing front to rear brake pressure?

IMO it makes sense to place it after the stock pro valve in line with the rear brakes... but i dont want to mess anything up! thank you VMF!
First Picture a Plain ole Front Disc/Rear Brake Non Power Master.

Second Picture a Plain ole H Block, Dam sure no Proprtioning involved here.

Third Pisture a Adjustable, Aftermarket, Prortioning valve---That Goes in the rear brake line. Very Simple easy.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts

I have the Granada brake setup on the front, a 9" in the rear with drum brakes and this master cylinder/proportioning valve that has been on the car since ive had it (i dont know if its stock or a past upgrade from a previous owner)

So my question is, what end (front or rear) should this be installed with? should it be after or before the stock proportioning valve? what 'percentage' should i be looking at when comparing front to rear brake pressure?

IMO it makes sense to place it after the stock pro valve in line with the rear brakes... but i dont want to mess anything up! thank you VMF!
Not sure what you meant by "the stock proportioning valve"? The second picture is a stock drum-drum brake pressure differential valve with warning light.

Slim

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have the granada front discs on my '66. I have a '74 maverick mc for disc/drum. I was using the granada proportioning valve, but never was happy with the front discs performance. Just not enough juice to the front..so...I went with this Summit Racing SUM-G3905 - Summit Racing® Brake Proportioning Valves - Overview - SummitRacing.com and did away with the granada prop valve. I had to go back to the older distribution block that came on the stang and then plumbed in the adjustable valve into the rear line. I am now very happy with the fronts as they will lock up before the rears. Before, it was the other way and I actually spun out once on a wet newly refinished street surface. Thankfully nothing hurt except where my butt pinched the heck out of the seat...lol.:shocked:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha, thanks for the info... the Baer seems to be just like the Summit brand you suggested... ill see how it feels with this MC and adjust accordingly in the future

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
and... will i need a new MC since the current one was supporting drum/drum

if i upgrade to power brakes will i need anything besides the new MC and powerbooster??

something like this??

DUAL BOWL MASTER CYLINDER FOR MANUAL DISC BRAKES 1964-1973 | CJ Pony Parts

or something else??
You already have the Master, Which?? Looking at a picture all externally are same--Kinda.

Front Disc /rear Drum Master is a pure shout in the dark- All depends on the residual values, the piston size, the aspect of piston machining to accept the manual push rod (Yes power disc masters do not have the internal machining to keep the push rod from following out as the Manual Masters do)

Folks using the 67-72 Up Power Disc Masters do not realize the clip ring on the push rod will not clip in the piston using their old push rod---

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 10 of 10 Posts