Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take my car in for an alignment after a front end rebuild. I was just looking and taking pictures for a before and after so that I can align it myself in the future. I noticed the strut rods were not turned in the same amount. The passenger side was turned in 8 threads and the Driver side was turned in 6 threads. Is this normal for them to be different if it was aligned properly? I have no idea if the car was aligned before I bought it but the bushings are in pretty good shape along with newer looking washers so obviously someone replaced them before.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
It is normal to have a different *number on either side to account for the crown of roads.
It wouldn't be surprising to need different amount on either side to get to the same #s.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Is this on a 65/66? If you have adjustable strut rods on a 65/66 you should use the shims to get the angles as close as you can then use the strut rods to fine tune the caster. Just so you know for future reference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this on a 65/66? If you have adjustable strut rods on a 65/66 you should use the shims to get the angles as close as you can then use the strut rods to fine tune the caster. Just so you know for future reference.
Sorry, 66 Fastback. I am taking it in next week for an alignment

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Ok, gotcha. I am going to tell you right now whoever aligns it is going to take the easy way out and just use your strut rods if they are actually adjustable. Unless you tell them to use the shims first and watch them the whole time. If I was doing it I would use the shims to get the caster and camber set then fine tune the caster with the strut rods. It is difficult to find someone willing to take the time to do it right. Can you take a pic of the strut rods?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts