Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still hunting down a fairly loud tick at higher RPM's and I am wondering if it is my valve adjustment. I adjusted them two different times just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I just read a post about taking the slack out of the push rod and then turning the nut 3/4 of a turn more. If this is correct then this is my problem. I followed the book that I have which says 1 1/2 turns after the slack is out of the push rod, which was mentioned in another post as being the correct adjustment.

Performer RPM cam, hydraulic lifters, roller rockers

Please help me clarify which is correct so I can hit the road again and not have to worry ::.....well, after an alignment(just installed new coils, roller perches, and shelby drop).

EDIT: Further research: my comp cams rocker arm paperwork says 1/2 turn past zero lash

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here's what my 1965 Shop Manual says:
With No. 1 piston on TDC at the end of the compression stroke, adjust the intake and exhaust valve clearance for No. 1 cylinder. Loosen the rocker arm stud nut until there is end clearance in the push rod, then tighten the nut to just remove all the push rod to rocker arm clearance. This may be determined by rotating and/or moving the push rod with the fingers as the stud nut is tightened. When the push rod end clearance has been eliminated, tighten the stud nut an additional 1 1/2 turns to place the hydraulic lifter plunger in the center of it's travel. Repeat this procedure for the remaining set of valves, turning the crankshaft with an auxilary starter switch, 1/4 turn at a time, in the direction of rotation, while adjusting the valves in the firing order sequence. The firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

Hope this helps,
Ben

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Stock lifters can live with 1-1/2 turns and the factory set them that way so that when parts wore down a bit they would still be in adjutment. High rev, anti-pump up lifters usually run 1/2 to 3/4 turn after zero lash. If your noise is at higher RPM, I would say the lifter adjustment is NOT the problem though. Unless the slack is caused by a bent or loose part in the valvetrain. Check to be sure the rocker arms are not touching the top of the valve retainers and that the valves have the correct rocker arms instlled for the type of valve stem. There are numberous ways to screw this up on small block Fords if the assembler does not understand the correct repationship between long tip valve stems, rail or non rail rockers, and the correct length pushrods.
I would also check for a wiped out lobe on the cam if the RPM increases the noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts