Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the points with a Pentronix module and it works as advertised. I just changed the plugs and wires and the cars runs good for my needs BUT, what are ya'lls thoughts about going to the 40k volts coil (Pentronix ??). I'm not planning on doing any high speed driving with the six but will be driving the car more after I go through the car to be sure it will be reliable. Thanks for any advice Martin

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
I added the Petronix coil on my car mostly becuase my coil was of questionable liniage.

From talking with a service tech from Petronix, you can leave in the resistor wire, it won't affect it that much. But the preffered way is to by pass it and feed the coil, along with the pick up with genuine 12 volts!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tried two different repro yellow top coils (wanted to retain as much stock look as possible) with Pertonrix I, but I didn't get the performance I was expecting. As the car would heat up, it would stumble a bit at idle and generally not pull as well and this was after my complete rebuild in March.

I put on a Flamethrower coil and I have no problems or performance issues. It might be a coincidence and/or the fact that I'm not bypassing the resistor wire, but it runs like a top. I keep meaning to wire it differently, but to this point I haven't had a need. Good luck! Kevin

·
Registered
759 Posts
Go for it if you have the money. If the car runs fine the way it is now, then leave it. Performance wise 1/4 hp? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
If you do put on a high voltage coil I recommend mounting it straight up instead of the diag. way on our 6's.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I went for a year on my daily driver with Pertronix and stock coil. I only replaced the coil cause I thought there was something wrong with it. The new Flamethrower coil made NO noticeable difference for me on my six banger. I have the Pertronix wired to the coil with no problems and as a sidenote the spark plugs last considerably longer. Can't believe I waited 15 years before getting rid of the points.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I have a complete MSD ignition system on my Mustang and the Blaster ignition coil was the best one out of all of them that I tried! Really though, unless the rest of your ignition is hopped up, a more-than-stock coil isn't too imperative.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts