Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! I've searched a bit looking for answers but haven't found much, so...

I have a 69 Mach1 with a 351W. Because of a bad situation (lost my house in a lender scam), I was forced to put her in storage a few years back while I got back on my feet. Not thinking ahead too much, I just parked her in the garage and have done very little with the car since.

Needless to say - the gas went bad, and I have since emptied and cleaned the tank. My brother fired it up a few times with the bad gas though, And I'm sure the carb is full of crap. The car (with fresh gas) idles very rough, almost stalling, but seems ok under higher RPM. I assume I'll need to pull the carb and clean/rebuild it to fix most of this problem? If so, hint/tips on rebuilding a carb would be great.

Next, in looking at the engine I've noticed what appears to be some loose vacuum lines. The manual I have doesn't provide a usable diagram for which lines go where, so am looking for a bit of help figuring his out over the coming weekend. Carb is a 4bbl Carter AFB. I'm not to bright mechanically, so be gentle!

Thanks in advance!

Tom

·
Registered
471 Posts
it could be just vacum issues but go to your local library and see if you can find a vacum diagram or there are some places online I don't know where to get pics for you but try the vacum lines 1st. ::

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well, without a picture of your engine, where the vacuum lines go can't be answered 100% correctly. Just make sure they are all plugged into a vacuum nipple. Secondly, I'd take her out on the freeway and drive several miles (30 or 40)at about 70 MPH. That will not only get rid of any bad gas in the lines, but lube the engine. Then, see if she idles any smoother. Oh, be sure you change the oil and filter before doing this, and take your cell phone with you. ::

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Again a picture would help. On my setup, i have a vacuum line that goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor to the front lower right port of the carb. There is another vacuum port on the front lower left of the carb (your hose may be switched). Not sure if yours has it, but my stock water neck had two vacuum hoses on them (this was before my electronic ignition and distributor upgrade). So i guess places to look are the distributor, top of water neck, carb, back top of manifold (should be a metal extension on the top rear for vacuum), and the vacuum T attached to the firewall directly behind the motor, and power brake booster if you have one. I believe that is all that i can think of. If i missed any i am sure others will correct me ::

·
Registered
966 Posts
When you replace the oil and filter, replace the fuel filter too. It's possible that the gunk from the tank is clogging the fuel filter and restricting the gas flow. Fuel filters are usually less than $2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks! Already changed oil, filter and fuel filter,and I did some laps around the block until I stopped blowing smoke from the bad gas.

I'll try to get an engine pic posted to see about those vacuum lines.

Tom

·
Registered
966 Posts
Check those vacuum lines, and I recommend replacing most of the hoses anyway to make sure you get secure attachments and no hidden cracks/leaks. If that doesn't clear things up, a carb rebuild looks to be in your future. That wouldn't hurt anyway just for peace of mind. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts