Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering what advice anyone might have offer to a hopeful restorer. I am 18 and don't know much about mechanics, but I want to buy a 64 1/2 - 69 V8. I live in Florida and was wondering if anyone knew anywhere for me to look or advice on how to get started. It would be really helpful.
-Thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would use the search feature on this site, type in some of the questions you have and see what info is out there. Once you get some basic info, you will have a better idea of what to ask.... Glad to see you chose I Mustang for a project. It a fun and pretty easy car to work on. Lot's of parts are available and
plenty of help is out there (like this site) Decide what you want out of the car, restored to original or modified, racer, ect...

·
Registered
553 Posts
the best thing you can do is get all the info you can find, read every book you can about mustangs. there are several books out there that deal with restoring or buying mustangs. check boards like this one daily and you'll be surprised what you can pick up. the more informed about the the kind of car your are going to purchase the better off you will be. take someone with you to look at a car, dont fall in love, be objective. purchase the most complete car you can find for your price range, you're going to have more fun in a semi drivable car than sitting on a seat with piles of parts around you, especially if it is your first project. good luck in your search.

if you're near the Clearwater area you might want to check out www.goldenclassics.com

they have some of the finest mustangs for sale that i have seen, their inventory is a little low right now but in the past 4 months i've seen some super quality cars go through there. i dont know about you, but most of them are WAY out of my price range, but you can at least get an idea on what you like and dont like.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I would add is to be realistic about what you purchase. Mustangs are prone to rust and if you review this forum and others you will find out where they rust. Specifically look at the cowls, the floorboards and the rear fenders. This can be expensive to repair, but if the car is otherwise OK, it might be worth it. It is generally money ahead to pay more for the car and have it mostly rust free, than to fix a basket case.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I SECOND THAT LEARNING EVERYTHING YOU CAN!!!!

Youre not as likely to get ripped off

And you can do a lot of the work yourself that way!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Here's what worked for me:

* Get in a local club, volunteer to work at their car shows, help out other clubmembers with their projects.
* Read a bunch of info about Mustangs. Borrow / buy / request Mustang books.
* Always have an extra pair of eyes with you when you look at a car.

Have fun, and let us know what you buy! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi and welcome: I agree with all that the others have said (rust in particular), and would add only that you decide if you want a 6cyl or a 8cyl (don't buy one and try to make it the other), and buy the best sample that you can afford. After that, build the car the way YOU want it (original, clone, restomod, racer, custom)(pssst. go for original. hehe). See you around. Mark

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the input. It is very helpful to me. And thanks Mufftang66 because I live in Tampa. But I'm with you most of what they have is far out of my price range. That's something I need to start doing is saving up. I didn't know that I could receive so much help. Now that I know about this forum and it's members I'm ready to save up to purchase my car and am confident that if I have any problems with the project I can find help here.
-Thanks Again

·
Registered
926 Posts
Rule number one about Mustangs is that they are classics, but they're not rare. So don't get excited and buy the first one you look at. Look at a lot of them and you soon realize you can afford to take your time and find one that's not rusted badly and in poor shape. There's a lot of them out there, but once you buy one you're locked in. You can learn everything you need to know here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts