Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

When I first saw your board, I was really impressed with you guys and the kind of threads written. I hope you guys know there isn't a board with more activity and die-hard knowledge/enthusiasm. I thought I wanted to share some new stuff with you, and I'm glad I did. I can tell that nearly all of you are quite expert about Mustangs, (especially mechanically), and there is no way I can discount what you say as you live and breath this stuff daily. On a side note, I very much appreciate all of your comments in the sense that I can utilize a lot of your opinions and advice for the building of my own VM restomod. Ultimately, I really want to take your comments to WMW for some of their options to improve the product and program.

Which leads me to exhaust. We contacted JBA when we began the GT500E project to have them custom design some headers for the engines we were using. Snce that time, we have been using JBA regularly. My real questions lie within the muffler. The guys at Unique were using Flowmaster, but we found that many people wanted more hp and noise, so we started to and continue to use Spin Tech (added about 15hp). The guys who test drive these cars love how loud it is, but realistically in a convertible, you may not be able hear the phone or the helpless yelps of small game with that kind of a growl.

What's a good high performance muffler to use that is not as deafening? What does it do to the hp?

Also in regards to the alternator. I ran into this company when I was doing research that makes high performance, OEM style Ford alternators. They had the smae look and size of the originals but had higher output. Does anyone know this manufacturer? Is their stuff any good?

Jesse

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I like the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. If you can believe the propoganda/advertising it's supposedly better than the Flowmasters in the HP category. It's much quieter than the "Flows" until about 3500-4000 RPM and then it has a quality sound. :: I'm running them with my JBA Shorties and am extremely happy with them as are several more around here. IIRC

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Also in regards to the alternator. I ran into this company when I was doing research that makes high performance, OEM style Ford alternators. They had the same look and size of the originals but had higher output. Does anyone know this manufacturer? Is their stuff any good?

Jesse
Might check with 66coupeNW here on this board. he markets an alternator fitting your description.

BTW, I'm running FM40's and like them fine. I find the spintech's to be a bit tinny sounding. Dynomax make for a nice streetable muffler

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm also very happy with the Dynomax super turbos. Cheap money, got 40K or so on them, sound great at idle and no drone at speed like some others.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have Dynomax Super Turbos on 2 of our Mustangs (my '66 daily driver and son's '69 daily driver). They sound better, and outflow the FlowMasters of the same caliber, while costing less. Like some of the others have said, they don't have the FlowMaster drone at speeds, either.

For all out performance, I think the Dynomax race turbos are pretty tough to beat. I have them behind Hooker Comps and a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust on my '69. No FlowMaster in the world sounds like them and again, they outflow the FlowMasters in the same category. They're nice and melow at idle, but when I crack the 408 to about half throttle, every head turns within 2 blocks. ::

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Another alternative would be the Hooker Aerochambers. The difference in sound level inside the vehicle between them and FM 40's was unbelievable.....

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If money is no object - Borla Pro XS. Part number 40358. Quiet muffler, great performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts