Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to be pilloried as a wanna be English teacher, but when you ask someone for information you are asking for his adviCe. If you provide someone with information than you have adviSed him. Advice is a noun and advise is a verb. Please allow me to adviSe you to take this adviCe. Ok, take your best shots. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Look at most of the requests for "advise" on this forum.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bishir, anybody with a 69 convertible is most certainly doing OK by me. I know I should have kept my mouth shut but.... When I was a freshman in college (classmate of Alexander the Great) I once asked a professor if I was to imply something from his statement. He stopped and glared at me and said "Mr. Sousa,I imply, YOU INFER!" I turned about three shades of red but ya know, I never forgot that lesson. I suppose he advised me and I took his advice to heart.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I know I'm going to be pilloried ...

<hr></blockquote>Woohoo... that there is a fancy schmancy word, doc /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I had to look it up to be sure I understood it rightly:

[color:red]Main Entry: pillory
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -ried; -ry·ing
Date: circa 1600
1 : to set in a pillory as punishment
2 : to expose to public contempt, ridicule, or scorn </font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/9417/pill1.jpg
And it's WAY old too... did you used to use it when you was a kid? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Next thing you know you will want people to keep the size of their sig pics to a minimum. Sheesh /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

... GREAT word, BTW...

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Pretty good, Bishir, but what's a "loosing" battle? I haven't run across that one yet. J/K. Had to with the grammar talk.

Carl

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
A loosing battle is one that leaves you feeling loose because you've just been you know. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Actually, I can't spell. It's a problem I know....

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Kent, that was one of the $.25 words that I learned at San Jose State University (oldest college in California) back when $.25 was still worth something. I just couldn't think of anything else that quite described what will undoubtedly happen as a result of my blatantly pedantic comment. (Whooo boy, as an SJSU grad I'm really straining for those big words now! Doh! I think I pulled something on that last sentence!)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
...but is not advice tantamount to asking to be advised? Same thing, right? Bear in mind that I'm (ex) Marine Corps. and therefore have chosen to live in a black and white world. Ain't no "gray" like that moron Clinton; i.e. "It depends by what you mean by......." it is what is is.....and in King's English in Great Britain what we call "advice" is spelled "advise"....my less than two cents worth.....

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Victor. Were you in the Royal Marines? If not, then the correct spelling is still advice. BTW, I was a drill instructor for a few years and neither of those words seemed to get much play IIRC. Just lots of permutations of the "F word".

·
Registered
51 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I wish I could get everything right the first time. Must be nice that you can. I have been on this site for less then a year. I'm on it everyday, but as you can see i havn't posted alot, not because I don't want to but because of my spelling. Some people in this world have what is called Dyslexia. Be glad you don't have it, it does not mean that someone is dum. I have a retail store and can do just about anything with my hands. So please don't pick on someone because they can not spell or type like you, or get words and letters backwards. We try our best. For now I will only read post and not post myself. I love this site and you guys have taught me alot, without you I could not have taken my 65 mustang all the way apart( and sometime back together in a year I hope) For that I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart or tool box if you like.
John

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I hear you, and understand your frustration, RagTop........

And, while we're at it, those shiny chrome things at both ends of a car are bumPers, not bumBers!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/AE/B3/10735022-2eb9-014400C7-.jpg

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, now I'm accused of attacking the dyslexic. Hey, if you are truly dyslexic then good on ya for having the courage to overcome your handicap. I fear that most of us, including myself, are just too lazy to pick up a dictionary. I didn't mean to imply that anyone was "dum", I just was trying to correct a common mistake. As far as dissing dyslexia I just say "ON".

·
Registered
391 Posts
This string of messages made me laugh; even more it warmed my heart. We fellow Mustangers have, as a group, respect for each other regardless of situation or background. No one is exempt from gentle ribbing and being poked at; respect, dignity, and status comes from being here, nothing more required. Each question gives and receives; each answer gives and receives.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Nope, USMC Recon out of Saigon. What is now called Force Recon. For the record, I don't really care how it is spelled; I know what is meant. Also, for the record, I commuted from San Francisco to London for years while in the software industry and one had to be careful how one spelled so as not to offend. Spelling is often predicated by where one is located. This is an international forum, so we must exercise patience. By the way, what colour is your car (lol)?. Time to put it to rest my man.....I'm going out to adjust the valves and leave the minutae to someone else......

G

·
0 Posts
besides Bishir's lose vs. loose here's some of the ones that pop up here often:

convertible not convertable
"needs restoration" not "needs restored"
axle not axel (axel is the figure skating jump)

and I have no idea what repo or repop parts are. Repossessed? Repopulated? They're reproduction parts so the correct abbreviation should be repro.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts