Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
for that reason alone I got a set of previously enjoyed Edelbrock Performer 5.0's for my GT40P
I have a set of Try Ys on there now, they aren't anything special but they fit my Z bar and Borgeson box perfectly. I've read too many ''header doesn't fit'' horror stories to want to change them plus that's cash that could go to a rebuild.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My advice, and it's only worth what you paid for it... :D
  1. Check your valve seals first of all. If you have the stock style umbrella valve stem seals, they're notorious for leaking, and breaking down, cracking and altogether failing. These will make a perfectly good engine smoke like a tired half-a-million-mile clunker!
  2. Have your engine builder measure your bores - and are they square? You may not need to punch it out any further. It'd be great if you could get by with merely a hone and new rings. And a ridge reamer can remove the ridge without boring.
  3. Camshaft selection if rebuilding... Lots of recommendations on this forum for the C9OZ-6250-C cam as a nice solid street performer with excellent driveability. I have the M-6250-A312 cam (very similar specs) which is a great all around performer. A Ford Motorsport engineer recommended the A312 cam because in California we're stuck with crappy unleaded fuel, and the split duration favoring the exhaust side would be a better choice because it supposedly makes more power with our unleaded gas.
    1. C9OZ-6250-C - single pattern cam; Duration @ 0.050: 218°; Lift: .470"
    2. M-6250-A312 - daul pattern cam; Duration @ 0.050: 214°i / 224°e; Lift: .472 i / .496 e
Whatever you do, keep us posted.
It doesn't look like either of those cams are still being produced or at least the part numbers aren't current.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My advice, and it's only worth what you paid for it... :D
  1. Check your valve seals first of all. If you have the stock style umbrella valve stem seals, they're notorious for leaking, and breaking down, cracking and altogether failing. These will make a perfectly good engine smoke like a tired half-a-million-mile clunker!
  2. Have your engine builder measure your bores - and are they square? You may not need to punch it out any further. It'd be great if you could get by with merely a hone and new rings. And a ridge reamer can remove the ridge without boring.
  3. Camshaft selection if rebuilding... Lots of recommendations on this forum for the C9OZ-6250-C cam as a nice solid street performer with excellent driveability. I have the M-6250-A312 cam (very similar specs) which is a great all around performer. A Ford Motorsport engineer recommended the A312 cam because in California we're stuck with crappy unleaded fuel, and the split duration favoring the exhaust side would be a better choice because it supposedly makes more power with our unleaded gas.
    1. C9OZ-6250-C - single pattern cam; Duration @ 0.050: 218°; Lift: .470"
    2. M-6250-A312 - daul pattern cam; Duration @ 0.050: 214°i / 224°e; Lift: .472 i / .496 e
Whatever you do, keep us posted.
It doesn't look like either of those cams are still being produced or at least the part numbers aren't current.
I hav

I have the Ebay stainless TRI Y's
Ah, I misunderstood you, so you only used the bottom end of the P motor and swapped eddy heads onto it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's disappointing. You could always have a cam custom ground to either of those specs. Call Ken at Oregon Cam Grinding (he know's Fords), or Bullet Cams. I'm sure either of them will tell you what they can do, and validate the proposed grind against your intended purpose.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Havoc, what cam do you have now ? I wonder if your 289 would like a Comp 35-255-5 ? And let me know if you need any part numbers on the valve gear. LSG

·
Registered
412 Posts
For anyone who cares, here's what the Motorsport M-6250-A312 cam sounds like with tri-y headers.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I finally got around to searching, I do still have the A312 cam and lifters. It looks good to me, even after sitting all those years ? If anybody wants it I'll let it go cheap. I bought it back when my '65 was a daily driver, at this point I'd use a roller cam, I'd hate to just throw it out.

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts