Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In process of putting on new full qtr panel on a 65. Not a ford tooling one, so I was expecting some fitment issues, and didn't think it was going tooooo bad until I looked at this picture. It's currently just tacked in place so can move it as needed, but it also doesn't look hardly like this in person. The pic definitely brings out the wave taht's been introduced.

Anyways, the fitment around the wheel well is a little crappy, and that might be where this bend this wrinkle is coming in from??? Think I remember the new panel having a gap of about 1/4 inch or so, and needing to be pulled into to tack to the wheel housing...So any advice on how to get this thing to lay out a little flatter or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have the same issue with my 65 coupe. I have a crappy non ford tooling full quarter that I bought 10 years ago. After lots of massaging, I got it fitting pretty good with sheet metal screws. After welding in place, I ended up with the same "wave". I've tried working it out but still havent got it acceptable. Just part of the fun of repop metal! If I was to do it again, I would've butt welded in sections that needed to be replaced vs the whole quarter.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That looks like it has a huge wave and kink around the wheel opening--almost like it was crashed that way. If the quarter was being replaced due to prior collision damage, was the car pulled back to shape prior to removing the old/installing the new quarter?

·
Registered
273 Posts
where did you buy this quarter panel and what brand was it? I replaced both my quarters with non ford tooled ones and never encountered these problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked it up at NPD in florida. It does look really bad in that pic, as I hadn't really noticed THAT bad of a wave until I saw the picture today. But I would imagine under paint it would come out the same. As far as I know it wasn't in a rear collision, but then I'm only the 2nd owner and I picked it up in '85.

I tacked it to the wheel well, and I had to pull it in some, which I'm figuring is where the wave came from, If I untack it, there's a gap about a 1/4 inch. I was thinking of rolling the lips anyways, so could I get by untacking it and just trying to butt weld the qtr to the outer wheel housing, then rolling the lip from there?

·
Registered
500 Posts
In what sequence did you tack in the wheel well? I'd break the existing tack welds around the wheel well and door jamb, then start from the top of the wheel well, and work forward to the rocker. Once this is done, I'd tack the door jamb back in place.

·
Registered
738 Posts
RyanG85 said:
With mine, I tacked the door jamb first since that is the most crucial part that needs to line up.
Agree. Door jamb and rocker panel fit is job #1.
I fitted those first and lightly tack welded those in place as I did not trust screws holding the panel in place as I massaged the quarter in place.

Original poster did not mention if he replaced the outer wheelhouses or not. Repo wheelhouses are notorious for not fitting and that may be causing his poor panel fit.

I replaced the quarter first and then cut out the rusted areas only of the original outer wheelhouses and then butt welded in new patch panel sections from the repo wheelhouses.

Basically the outer 2-3" section of the wheel houses were replaced and the repo wheelhouses were cut in 3 sections as the repo wheel houses have a different curvature than the orioginal quarters.

I only replaced what I had to on the wheelhouses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I changed both of my 1/4s using reproduction metal. They both fit very well. It takes a LOT of time and patience to get them on right. I had them on and off probably ten times each before I was happy with the fit and started welding. I started in the door jamb, then the roof, wheel well, trunk drop off, and then tail panel. The entire time I kept checking to make sure everything stayed in alignment. I used every clamp I had and even borrowed a couple. Fit the panel to the door and trunk areas, then try to pull the wheel house to the 1/4 if it's close, do not pull the 1/4 to the wheel house or you get wrinkles. The wheel house it a pain but unless yours is bent it should fit. I did change the outer wheel house on the pass side and the radius was not a perfect match to the 1/4, but with a dent puller and some swearing i got it to fit well. Be careful not too beat it too much or those wrinkles will be permanent.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze72qeu/PICT0436.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze72qeu/PICT0438.JPG http://mysite.verizon.net/vze72qeu/PICT0439.JPG

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the jambs and rocker lined up first. And then there was a gap in the wheeel well. The wheel housings were in great shape so didn't have to do anything with those. I'm thinking I'll take the tacs off the wheel well and fill in the small gap with a strip of metal. I'm rolling the lips anyways.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Is this a coupe or vert? If it was a convertible did you support it well before you cut out the old one? I would check the door and trunk lid fit before you go to far and make sure they didn't move. I really don't understand why you should have such a large gap at the wheel well. That 1/4 may have got hit in shipping?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts