Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revamping my gauge cluster on my 67 coupe. Just looking for opinions on LED dash lights, what works, what don’t work. Read some reviews and seems the led bulbs don’t fit the light sockets too well ( kinda loose). Just looking for opinions for those who have changed to led. Are the blue lens still needed? Are they that brighter? Are they too bright? Do they last any longer? Source for led bulbs? Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
Loose LED bulbs in the dash!
You beat me to a post I was going to start last night!
Everytime I reassemble my dash, inevitably one or more of the LED bulbs falls INTO the module, and I have to remove the unit and shake them out!
I'm looking for a solution to keep this from happening. ?silicone?...if it won't interfere with the bulb making electrical contact?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a 65 and 66 Mustang that I both installed LED instrument cluster lighting. I explored various options on Amazon, but I too had issues with some bulbs popping out. Ultimately, I ended up going with kits from Mustang Project. They offer a plethora of options with different brightness and colors. I haven't had a single bulb from their kit pop out. They also offer some pretty cool options for exterior lighting.

Mustang Project LED lighting

My 66 Convertible. Everything is daylight balanced LED (5,500 kelvin) with the exception of the rally pack with is incandescent with 1/2 CTB. I drilled out and removed the blue filters from the back of the instrument cluster. Bulbs are dimmable.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 65 and 66 Mustang that I both installed LED instrument cluster lighting. I explored various options on Amazon, but I too had issues with some bulbs popping out. Ultimately, I ended up going with kits from Mustang Project. They offer a plethora of options with different brightness and colors. I haven't had a single bulb from their kit pop out. They also offer some pretty cool options for exterior lighting.

Mustang Project LED lighting
All the dash bulb BASES should be identical (only the light emitted may differ from brand to brand), and the Mustang harness stays the same, so I am wondering why yours would be any different and not pop out?
Did you tighten any of the bulb holders? Does Mustang Project offer re-worked bulb holders?

·
Registered
998 Posts
All the dash bulb BASES should be identical (only the light emitted may differ from brand to brand), and the Mustang harness stays the same, so I am wondering why yours would be any different and not pop out?
Did you tighten any of the bulb holders? Does Mustang Project offer re-worked bulb holders?

For 1966, The Instrument cluster takes #1895 bulbs. Under dash courtesy lights are #631. The bulbs must have been popping out due to a difference in manufacturing tolerances and quality control. Both of cars have their OEM harnesses and were without issue with stock incandescent bulbs. Some LEDs, the lighting element itself would conflict with the housing or fitting. I agree with you that all bulbs bases should be identical, but in my experience it is clearly not the case. For me, it was trial and error until I just went with a reputable supplier whom already worked things out in regards to design and quality control.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
All I can say is make sure that you don't get some that are crazy bright and non dimmable. I had the brightest ones Superbrightleds.com has and it was ridiculous. Bright dash lights make night vision of the road poor. I went with their mid or lower bright bulbs and it looks great! And, these fit the bulb sockets fine. The brighter BA9S bulbs did not fit as well.

BA9s LED Bulb - 4 LED - BA9s Bulb | Super Bright LEDs

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you want reliable instrument cluster bulbs that you won't have to mess around with for the rest of the decade, install the bulbs the car was designed to use. Somehow there are always issues with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,240 Posts
I installed LED lights from Mustang Project many years ago and they are still great. I have had zero problems. I removed the blue covers (many were burnt) and installed green LEDS. They are way brighter than incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do they recommend adding relays before converting to LEDs for dash lights as they do for LED headlights? Possible? Any extra current draw with LED dash lights?

I've noticed that my '67 dash lights are very dim, and switching to brighter lights are something I'd consider if I'm confident it won't cause any electrical issues, and I don't have to worry about them falling out. jp

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just replaced the park, tail lights, and backup lights with Vintage LEDs (for safety) but chose to keep the stock bulbs In place for the dash. That somehow seems to be the correct way to go for me as the color and brightness is more nostalgic (for me).

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I had to use two different sets of LEDs for the instrument lighting in my 65. The first set fit horribly, and the bulbs would fall out now and then. I should have known better when I saw the words "Scott Drake" on the package. I then bought 4 blue LEDs for the gauge lighting and 2 white LEDs for the turn signals from SuperBrightLEDs and they fit into the sockets perfectly. Have been running them for over 2 years now with no issues...no relays, no wiring upgrades, etc.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Do they recommend adding relays before converting to LEDs for dash lights as they do for LED headlights? Possible? Any extra current draw with LED dash lights?

I've noticed that my '67 dash lights are very dim, and switching to brighter lights are something I'd consider if I'm confident it won't cause any electrical issues, and I don't have to worry about them falling out. jp
No, the LED dash light use far less power than the original light.

i also have used Mustang Project LEDs. I used them on my 68 and a 65. Keep the blue lens and they look perfect. Only Issue I have had is with the Hi beam indicator on my 68. Its too bright. According to Mustang Project they switched that to a less powerful bolt and I must have the older one. I plan to switch it to the new style.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I purchased the LED dash llight bulbs from Summit Racing and installed them when I had my cluster out for rewiring. I love the LEDs because they make everything so much easier to see. Especially nice are the turn signal indicators as the stock bulbs did not show up well at all.

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,240 Posts
No, the LED dash light use far less power than the original light.

i also have used Mustang Project LEDs. I used them on my 68 and a 65. Keep the blue lens and they look perfect. Only Issue I have had is with the Hi beam indicator on my 68. Its too bright. According to Mustang Project they switched that to a less powerful bolt and I must have the older one. I plan to switch it to the new style.
What color LED's did you use? I ask this because the OEM setup is yellow + blue = green. I eliminated the blue covers and the green LED's look perfect in my 70.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I used the blue with the blue lens. It looks awesome. So much more readable, but the color is a definitely blue not green. Here is a pic. It’s a bit washed out because the Tach wasn’t installed, but you get the idea.

Reactions: Alan _MacDougall

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The instrument cluster is white T10 LED bulbs with red filters. The clock is red T10 leds w/o a filter. The camera makes the cluster look washed out, but the clock is a little red'er than the cluster. My issue is I found the red LED's ran a lot hotter than the white, so I opted for the white and red filters for the cluster where there were so many LEDS. Plus, the filter kit from CJPony only came with enough for the instrument cluster and I did not buy a 2nd set just to get the 2 I needed for the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What I've found with LED dash lights are the three different white colors, Bright white, Cool white, and warm white. Warm white is the closest to a normal incandescent. The instrument panel is cool white, and the Rally pac is warm white.

Dash Driver view.jpg

Reactions: Eitelbj

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just installed the Blue LEDs (MP-6768-LED-GA-BLUE) for a '67/'68 from Mustang Project in my '67 instrument panel for about $40 with shipping. Much easier to see the gauges than with the incandescent bulbs. Now it's cool blue like Flade's. jp

Photo of LEDs:

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
You’re going to love it. I just got my Tach back from Rocketman and have it installed. Looking forward to driving it at night

1 - 20 of 23 Posts