Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1965 fastback, it is a T code car originally, see post from Craigslist. I am not sure the price is in line with the car, but really don’t know, advice?? There are a lot of mods on it just by the pics.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
The mods are nice, but what's absolutely critical is the condition of the underside of the car. Since it's a desert car, it could be pristine. It could also be completely rusted out. Likely, it's something in-between. Without pics, we don't know. And nobody should buy a first gen Mustang without thoroughly inspecting the undercarriage.

Although fastback prices are continuing to go up, up up, even if it is in fact a pristine, rust-free car, I'm thinking that price is a little high for a modified T-code. Anything less than pristine and the price is way high.

And I'm wondering why you posted in the Concours forum since that car is way beyond Concours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mods are nice, but what's absolutely critical is the condition of the underside of the car. Since it's a desert car, it could be pristine. It could also be completely rusted out. Likely, it's something in-between. Without pics, we don't know. And nobody should buy a first gen Mustang without thoroughly inspecting the undercarriage.

Although fastback prices are continuing to go up, up up, even if it is in fact a pristine, rust-free car, I'm thinking that price is a little high for a modified T-code. Anything less than pristine and the price is way high.

And I'm wondering why you posted in the Concours forum since that car is way beyond Concours.
My first post, and not super familiar with these forums, other than reading. Can I change it?

also, I do agree, underside is super important, I’ve partially restored 3 so far, but never a fastback. So not familiar with pricing on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"fresh yellow paint".
That tells me he put lipstick on a pig to get rid of it. Why would you spend $7500-$10,000 on a quality paint job just to turn around and sell it?
Ty, kinda what I was thinking, but will go look. Also gonna see who in that area can inspect it, like a body shop or a vintage car person.

·
Premium Member
12,675 Posts
I'm gonna say a Fastback that runs and drives starts at $20K. If that one doesn't have any serious rust issues it could be a $30K car. With all of the mods it doesn't really matter that it started life as a T code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna say a Fastback that runs and drives starts at $20K. If that one doesn't have any serious rust issues it could be a $30K car. With all of the mods it doesn't really matter that it started life as a T code.
Ty!

·
Dimples
5,379 Posts
Yeah that’s not a terrible price to start as long as there’s some room for negotiation. Assuming the underside is solid.

For me, there would have to be some concessions on the color, body color engine bay and weird interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that’s not a terrible price to start as long as there’s some room for negotiation. Assuming the underside is solid.

For me, there would have to be some concessions on the color, body color engine bay and weird interior.
Ty, I’ll take all of that into consideration

·
Premium Member
12,675 Posts
The bumblebee "fresh yellow paint with black stripes" does not appeal to me at all. I don't understand why the guy would paint it such a color that is going to turn a lot of potential buyers away if he intended to try to sell it soon after the paint.
The "weird interior" looks pretty much stock to me other than the '69 Mach 1 seats which in my opinion add value to the car.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It does reek of being a "flipped" car. A Ford enthusiast found a T code with (hopefully) a good body and rebuilt it with spare parts and paint from their collection. The wheels/ tire look like a U.S. Mags package from CJ Pony Parts. The seats are Mach 1 and the black upholstery just plain looks wrong. If you look at it, bring some magnets...

·
Dimples
5,379 Posts
The "weird interior" looks pretty much stock to me other than the '69 Mach 1 seats which in my opinion add value to the car.
That’s fair. I should have been more specific in my criticism. I guess it’s the combo of the two tone door panels and red accents on the seats/floor mats that threw me. I agree the Mach seats are a plus, but in that application, just serves to make it into a bit of a ketchup and mustard look that turns me off. Plus, I’m willing to bet there’s a white seat under that fold down.

Ditch the floor mats, go back to stock door panels and upholster the Mach seats to match and that’d be a big improvement.

Of course, all of this is subjective.

·
Registered
287 Posts
He doesn't talk at all about suspension. trans, diff, brakes condition. That could get real pricey fast if that stuff is garbage with a new paint job.
The blue shock mounts are a tip off, to me, that something just ain't right here. Little details give way to hiding something.
He's selling a fastback with a roller 302, T5 and A/C. $15K-$20K. If it's clean underneath.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
He doesn't talk at all about suspension. trans, diff, brakes condition. That could get real pricey fast if that stuff is garbage with a new paint job.
The blue shock mounts are a tip off, to me, that something just ain't right here. Little details give way to hiding something.
He's selling a fastback with a roller 302, T5 and A/C. $15K-$20K. If it's clean underneath.
The blue shock mounts match the engine color. Maybe there was a wrecked or rusted restomod donor car.

I did a car project this summer where I used a bunch of leftover stuff to fix up a ZX2. I used a bunch of spray can paint that we all have. The sub-frame is now the color of my old Toyota MR2. The calipers are red and the drums are blue. The new exhaust system is Ford Corporate Blue. Much of the bottom is undercoated. I also used Rustoleum and brushes. I was surprised that many old chemicals were still good. Now I have less hazardous waste sitting around. The neighbors think I'm nuts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You want $35K for a car and do stuff like that? What else is bubble gummed and bailing wired together?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts