Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project Order

In May I bought a 65 fastback that needs some work. Here are the things that need to be done (in the order I was planning on doing them):

1. Interior - Paint plastic panels, new dash pad & radio patch panel, carpet, seats and headliner
2. Install antenna and mirror (requires drilling in new metal)
3. Suspension rebuild and maybe some brake work.
4. Magnum 500's and tires (wheels rub now)
5. Engine compartment detail
6. Exterior bodywork, new chrome, and paint (color change)

I am new at this. Am I anywhere close on my project order? I am probably looking at a 3 year project for all of the above. Biggest reason for paint and body last was $.

I will try to get a picture up soon. Car looks (almost) decent as is and I drive it once or twice a week.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
If you are going to be parking the car and stripping it down to do the work, the order you do it depends more on money, however, if you plan on driving it for some time yet (while you do the interior,etc)..I would suggest that you begin with the improvments geared twards safty..brakes,suspention etc..Your project sounds alot like mine...mine is all apart in the garage, and needing all the things you mentioned (and then some), and also figure it will be at least 2 years before it see the road again :(
Good luck..kep us posted

Joe

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would change it around some. I wouldn't do the interior before the body work. Body work can will get dust and dirt all over your new interior. Do your brake and suspension work after you get all you take your fenders off (if your planning on doing so). Tires and wheels will be last. So here is how my order would go. 1. Body work (mirror and ant. at the tail end of this) 2. Engine detail. 3. Suspension work. 4. Interior. 5. Wheels and tire. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Taxman,

Your project also sounds a lot like mine, and like you I wanted to restore the interior first. I have learned that safety is the most important aspect of the restoration, especially if you will be driving while restoring.

I would higly recommend doing what you need to do with the brakes first, and while you are at it, make sure that the chasis is in good shape. After that I would work on the suspension, and focusing on a couple possible upgrades such as an Export Brace, Monte Carlo Bar, and Sub Frame connectors. This will make you ride nice and rigid.

There will always be projects with the car, and it is important to remember that turning heads with a nice looking pony is not worth losing yours because you didn't start with safety. You can do a lot with the interior with just a couple cans of vinyl paint.

Take your time and be safe, eventually you will have a bad ass car that will make lots of people green with envy.

Good luck with your new project.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I doin't know what you mean by body work... if you mean scuff and shoot with some paint, than its not too important when that gets done. If the car is in need of some serious rust repair, i would get this out of the way right away. there is no sense doing the interior, than burning a hole in your brand new white vinal seat when a glowing ember comes flying off of your angle grinder.

saftey definalty is important, its a very sick fealing when you step on the brake petal and it goes right to the floor. i would concentrate on fixing that type of stuff before anything else if you are going to be doing a rolling type restoration.
good luck

- Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the input. Concensus says to start with brakes and suspension, so I will head that direction. I may do a minor interior project along the way, but I will save seats-carpet-headliner for after the body work is done.

VMF is Great! There is no way I could do this on my own!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts