Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting the body work on a 67 fastback.
I don't know if others operate the same way, but it takes me a while to get a clear "vision" of where I am going with a project.

I plan to have this car finished very nicely, I want it very street friendly, yet want some nice performance.

I am currently leaning towards a gt500/mild eleanor restomod. The shop that I am using likes the fatman suspension products. He is leaning me towards the air ride in the rear. (his approach was, it's nice to be able to control the height)
I had never even thought about air. I had thought that I may possibly road course the car at VIR and didn't know if that type of setup works at all for that type of driving. They also recommend using the fatman R&P in the front. Anyone have any reason not to use the air? They also vend the TCP; yet the shop prefers the fatman.

Power option: I have no engine and transmission now. They were leaning me towards carb. 351w (maybe stroked).
I like the idea of fuel injection.
I gathered getting them to fit in a 67 is tough. (height wise)
What are some options. (I don't need off the chart horsepower, but I hate to underpower and regret it later) Is there a power package that is known to fit and work well?
Specifics would be appreciated.

I put a 351w in a previous 65 fastback project, I had it built with parts I provided. This time, I wouldn't mind a turn key engine/transmission option (like a crate motor) (or the "EFI power package from XYZ motors")
Thanks

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The stroked Windsor sounds nice. EFI would fit under the hood just fine.

I have no experience with the Fatman products, but the TCP products are nice.

If you're ever a couple hours North (New Bern), come checkout my sons car for some ideas.

Here are a couple short videos detailing some of the car.

Walkaround...

Engine running....

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny, I was sending you an email while you replied. I was reading the old posts and stumbled on your efi issues.

Nice car!, I will drop you a line when I head that way.
Check you email

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
and stumbled on your efi issues....

Well that shouldn't have been too hard... I have EFI related issues spread all over this forum! It's finally winding down now and I think I can see the light of success shining at the end of the tunnel... it's either that or a blinking check engine light :eek:

Dave

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
An EFI'ed 351W ought to do the trick. As for air, it's a sports car, where the eff are you going to put the air management stuff? ???

I'd go TCP, it's a proven performer and you have plans to put it on a track.

As for the EFI being hard to fit under the hood, I know that's not true with a 5.0L and I suspect it's not true with a 5.8L, since the aftermarket low-profile 5.8L Trickflow and other intakes fit under a 94-95 hood, which has less room than a 67+.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Air ride supposedly works real well although I have no personal experience with it. However, the fatman products don't seem to get much in the way of positive reviews, they are geared more to the street rod/cruiser type vehicles and not really for performance use. The front suspension, and rack & pinion steering setup is generally not considered a performace item either. For air ride you would be better off with the air ride technologies or TCP g-bar/g-link setups. TCP makes great products, as do global west, Ron Morris, Opentracker and others.
EFI setups are quite common and fit well so your options are wide open as far as drivetrain is concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts