Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all needs to be re-done and I need to know what parts to buy. I am looking for a compliant street ride, not stiff or harsh. I do not want to lower the car. Do I need both upper and lower control arms, or just the lowers? What sort of bushing kit should I use, (poly?). Also considering KYB GR-2 low pressure shocks. Any advice on spring rates, etc would be most helpful.

thanks
jim

·
Registered
952 Posts
get your kit from americanpony.com they have the best prices and the midylene works pretty good. Do it all and you will be very satisfied. Also do not forget the steering kit. Springs get the 620's that lower 1". I had to cut 1/3 out but the handling improvement is significant!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Stay away from 620 lbs front springs, they are stiff and harsh. GT springs are usually 480 lbs which are enough for better handling without harshness. Use rubber bushings except for sway bars, if you don't have rear bar, but like cornering get one 5/8". GR-2 are softer than Gas-A-Justs, so they should fit your "not stiff or harsh"

Even if you don't want to lower the car, lower the upper control arms an inch a'la Shelby mod, it is labor only modification that improves handling by better geometry. It lowers the car about 1/4-1/3 inch, not an inch.

Whether to replace all the arms? Well, it's difficult to say without knowing if they are worn. If they are worn, replace the lower control arms and either rebuild the uppers or replace them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How can you tell if their worn?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If they are more than 15 years old or have more than 50K miles on them, they need to be replaced. Age is just as much of an enemy as mileage because the rubber deteriorates. Do the whole thing - if you try to piecemeal it you'll end up replacing everything anyway and you will do triple the labor.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I am trying to figure that out myself this evening. I have some slack in the right front. It doesn't seem to be bearings so it has to be either lower or upper arm then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts