Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Ok theres this guy in town, has a 1979 Granada .. now my 69 Mach already has PDB but the whole assembly is hooped and this guy has had all the brakes just done! Anyhow, he has it going for $700 CDN and the entire car has been gone over, what I need to know (quick before he calls back) is:

1. Will this sucker have (possibly) rear discs? If so would I be able to use them for a rear drum to disc conversion.

2. Will the front brakes, rotors, etc.. all work? Is there any problem in using the Granada master cyl. and rotors, calipers, etc...?

3. What else could I salvage from this car?

4. I see an 81 granada for sale too, could I salvage brakes from that one?

TIA
Chris

------------------------------
1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )

G

·
0 Posts
You don't mention if it is a 6cyl or 8 cyl car, I think this matters. I believe it must be a 8 cyl car.

I believe all the Granada's had rear drums, someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The 81 Granada has a front strut set up so it won't work for you

TJ - Highland Village, TX (DFW area)

66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its an 8 cylinder car ... are only the spindles reusable? Is it even worth suing these parts if you already have a disc brake setup?

1969 Mach 1 ( M-Code )

G

·
0 Posts
I still need a disk brake set up, soooo you are lucky:) If your stang has original disks, the granada spindles are NOT a direct swap for your spindles. The outer tie rods will not fit, you would need the outer tie rods from the granada to go with the spindles.
IMHO I don't think there is a lot you can get off the car. I plan to get all the front disk related stuff and porportioning valve, maybe Master Brake Cylinder.
Hope this helps, I might be a little off the mark.

94 GT vert -SWMBO's

G

·
0 Posts
The chances for a granader having rear discs is slim, but there is the possibility. I dont think you can convert your rear (I am guessing you alredy have a 9") to discs using granada/monarch/versailles parts anyhow. You need to make sure that the donor car has a V8. I believe that all 6 cylinder granaders have incompatible front brake components for the swap. I think that the rotors are smaller diameter or the bolt pattern wont work. Not sure about the master cylinder. I am also pretty sure that the '81 would not have anything you need. I think that the years for this swap are 76-80.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

G

·
0 Posts
another thought...... If it is a 302 w C4 you might be able to use those for something (if not your stang). It should have a 9" rear so depending on the gears you might want them...

94 GT vert -SWMBO's

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
IF that is a factory 1969 disc brake setup you have on your Mach1, your existing spindles are of a smaller diameter than the 1969 Boss and 1970 Mustang and later spindles (which is what the granada's are configured after). If you already have the disc brake setup that is stock to your car, altering it to the later Granada setup will definitely decrease its value, especially to those looking for "originality".

As far as disc brake conversions for the rear, the late model Explorer disc brake setup is a near boltin affair. I have not personally seen any Granada's with rear disc brakes (they were a base sedan car), however, that's not to say they DEFINITELY did not come with them. The rear disc brake setup is more commonly found on the Lincolon Versailles of the same year group.

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

·
Registered
391 Posts
TJ,

Both 6 cyl and 8 cyl Granada's have the same 5-bolt disc brakes. 6 cyl came with manual disc brakes (master cyliner is different) and 8" rear gears (3.00:1 may have been standard). We used the manual Granada set-up to convert my brothers '65 coupe and my '64 Falcon Futura vert.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358030&Sequence=0&res=high.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
you can t use the 81, but i got a setup off a 79 and i love it

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd Dietrich
restomod junkie, 19 year old kid who has too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts