Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Bought a TKO600 Conversion kit from MDL back in May '18. Everything was great except until a few days ago, The Clutch (Kevlar/Steel Organic) is burning up after a 1yr use and the clutch doesn't grab in 4th or 5th anymore when the car is warmed up. I did adjust the clutch (External Slave Cylinder/fork), but no change, most likely the clutch is going to need replacement. Did anyone ever experience these types of issues with MDL's kevlar/steel organic Clutch? the clutch I have was advertised to handle 450hp+ and since it was kevlar/Steel Organic I expected this clutch to last longer than usual as the material can take a beating.

to note, Recently I did a dyno/tune and now putting out more power than I originally thought, this is probably what caused the clutch to burn. I'm putting down 365rwhp 400rwtq.

Does anyone have any clutch recommendations? I've been told McCleod Super Street Pro or RST but would like your feedback. The car is meant for street/spirited driving and the occaional autocross.

The engine is a 393w Stroker (Carb'd), TKO600 with ford 9 w/ 3:50's

Best,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update: so replaced the clutch with mcleod super street pro and its feels awesome! the old clutch kit from MDL pressure plate failed, but the clutch looked fine, I even noticed the external slave was leaking.

after doing some digging, I noticed the pressure plate is made by SECO SEOJIN AUTOMOTIVE (Korean company) not sure if the clutch is made inhouse though, it could be the same company.

also, the external clutch slave is a $12.00 part Beck/Arnley Clutch Slave Cylinders 072-9514 and currently looking to upgrade, if you have any recommendations, please let me know.

I am not trying to blast MDL in a bad way, so take it with a grain of salt, I do love their conversion kit as it was a detailed install.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Was hydraulic fluid from the leaking slave cylinder getting on the clutch disc? Leaking rear main?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was hydraulic fluid from the leaking slave cylinder getting on the clutch disc? Leaking rear main?
no leaks, the clutch was fine, just the pressure plate failed. the clutch slave cylinder I have is external which mounts on the bell housing and pushes the fork. that part was leaking but no fluid entered the bell housing.

·
Registered
795 Posts
MDL use to buy there clutches from a private clutch builder who they ended up buying them out. I bought everything from them. First a cable set up I ruined and then bought the hydraulic external slave.

I had the basic organic clutch and from day one it always had a slight chatter. New flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate.
I had the opportunity to inspect the clutch because it was apart for other reasons. Could never find anything wrong, disc clean, flywheel and pressure plate no unusual wear marks.

I finally had after 4 years and put a Centerforce II in. Had problems with the master cylinder throw (that a whole another problem) The Centerforce is smooth as expected.

When I told Bruce about the clutch he said he would send a call tag for it and wanted to inspect it. Well he refunded the money for the clutch and also the money for the updated master. You couldn't ask for any more

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I run a MD 10.5 Kevlar/Organic clutch setup. I run a "Z" bar actuating and a 5 speed. My engine's been Dynoed at 380+ RWHP. It's been in service since 2010 and I've not noticed any changes. It's a spirited street warrior. I guess, you'll be pulling it for a close inspection. What's your driving style?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I run a MD 10.5 Kevlar/Organic clutch setup. I run a "Z" bar actuating and a 5 speed. My engine's been Dynoed at 380+ RWHP. It's been in service since 2010 and I've not noticed any changes. It's a spirited street warrior. I guess, you'll be pulling it for a close inspection. What's your driving style?
same clutch and Driving style as yours, weekend spirited street car was never taken to the track, never dropped the clutch, slammed gears or did any burns out. my car dyno'd at 365RWHP 400RWTQ

my MDL clutch warranty is expired. My car would slip in 4th 5th gear, 1-3rd gear would grab no problem but after I would smell the clutch during normal driving conditions. new clutch is great, but not driving it as the external clutch slave needs to be upgraded/replaced.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Well, I just pulled my motor and trans today and am using the same MDL pressure plate but with the organic clutch and my pressure plate is shot as well. When I loosened the pressure plate to flywheel bolts the pressure plate only pulled away from the flywheel 3/16. Clutch looks OK for what it's been through. I thought I smoked the clutch starting out in second gear at an autocross event. I'm starting to think clutch smoking was due to the pressure plate failing? My pilot bearing fell out of the end of the crank when I removed the trans as well!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hmm, I just put the MDL PP and organic clutch in the beginning of last season and have had a chatter pretty much since day two. I wonder what mine looks like.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I didn't have any chatter but it accelerated like the converter was slipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts