Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'd appreciate some advise.

I am currently prepping the car for surgery :) - It will be getting a new drivers side floor & toe board/kick panel. I've also ordered a single piece torque box to give it some more strength.

I think the order needs to be;

1) Figure out what to cut out and then cut it out :)
2) Install Torque box
3) Toe board/kick panel
4) Floor pan
5) Seat platform

I could do with some more room so I was thinking I would remove the brake & accelerator pedal assembly. The engine is still in the car. Do you think this is necessary or should I just remove the pedals?

There is some rust just below and to the right of the steering column. I don't think I can easily take out the steering column as the engine is in the car so I'm going to see if I can cut it out and patch it.

My last question is regarding panel installation. The toe board will be plug welded to the frame rail and at least 1 plug weld to the floor support (which I also need to install). The replacement floor pan comes with about 4 inches of steel that bends up. I'm not sure if this should be cut and seam welded to the bottom of the toe board or plug welded and seam welded further up the toe board. I hope that makes sense.

A few photos attached for reference. What I've found is that someone replaced the floor at some point in the past but didn't plug weld it to the frame or floor support which would explain why the floor was a bit buckled.

Thanks in advance!
Grant
www.mymustangjourney.com

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
In your case, if it's not a problem to remove the pedals, then do it.
The extra room will come in handy when trimming the new panel and welding it in.

Get the toe board temporarily fitted, and then work on installing the torque box.
You can temporarily screw the toe board to the frame rail with two or three sheet metal screws.
This way, you won't run into the problem of having the torque box above the toe board or pushing on it.

As you're getting the torque box to fit, you'll see where the toe board will need to be modified.
There will be a lot of fitting, trimming, and bending, so don't get discouraged.
Keep us updated on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :)

It's all a bit daunting at present but I keep telling myself that it doesn't have to be done by tomorrow. I'll just take my time :)

I'm learning to MIG weld and hope to be good enough before I go near the car.

Cheers

In your case, if it's not a problem to remove the pedals, then do it.
The extra room will come in handy when trimming the new panel and welding it in.

Get the toe board temporarily fitted, and then work on installing the torque box.
You can temporarily screw the toe board to the frame rail with two or three sheet metal screws.
This way, you won't run into the problem of having the torque box above the toe board or pushing on it.

As you're getting the torque box to fit, you'll see where the toe board will need to be modified.
There will be a lot of fitting, trimming, and bending, so don't get discouraged.
Keep us updated on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I don't have great pictures from when I did it(could only find one upside-down picture), but in general...I don't cut patch panels...I use the whole thing. I lay it down on the panel its replacing, use a few self-tapping screws to secure it over that panel. I then trace the outline of the panel, unscrew it, cut the old panel out just inside the traced line, place the new panel in place, then butt-weld the patch panel to the good metal. I did trim the panel you are talking about slightly around where the column goes through the firewall, but that is all. I did that panel with both the column and the pedals in place....I will say though, the top edge of that panel was a real PITA to grind flat afterwards...engine bay side wasn't too bad, but I never was able to get the interior side nearly as clean as the other panels.(If you have the right type of flap wheel you can manage it...but since its under the carpet anyway no one will ever notice. At some point though you will need to pull the engine to clean up that side of the butt-weld(I did it months afterward):

P.S. Correction, gas pedal was removed, brake pedal was in place.

Reactions: kiwi66

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks wicked93gs! - I especially like seeing that you had to replace some of the panel around the steering column and it looks like you left it in place :) - I'll also have to cut the panel around the steering column but hope to use the rest of it. I see yours had the flange bent upwards whereas mine is bent down so I'll have to bend it myself.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Thanks wicked93gs! - I especially like seeing that you had to replace some of the panel around the steering column and it looks like you left it in place :) - I'll also have to cut the panel around the steering column but hope to use the rest of it. I see yours had the flange bent upwards whereas mine is bent down so I'll have to bend it myself.
Some of that was laziness on my part(I paid for it later because it was super easy to blow through that area with the welder, had to go back over that area several times) since I didn't want to have to figure out how to cut the hole back into shape afterward. If I were to do it again I would make some type of template out posterboard I would tape to the firewall side and trace the hole before I cut it out, then trace it back onto the new section before I welded it back. That trick would require removing the column and box at the least though

Reactions: kiwi66

·
Dimples
6,529 Posts
Thank you :)

It's all a bit daunting at present but I keep telling myself that it doesn't have to be done by tomorrow. I'll just take my time :)

I'm learning to MIG weld and hope to be good enough before I go near the car.

Cheers
I think that’s the right approach. I did my first floor pan and torque boxes recently and it’s pretty forgiving. As mentioned previously, the trimming and fitting was more frustrating than the welding, and these welds don’t have to be pretty, so you have room for the learning curve. This is a job that can be fun and rewarding if you let it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the day off today and spent most of the day working on the car. I've cut most of the toe board out and whilst doing so found some pin holes in the side wall so cut them out also. I've got a load to weld so will practicing on scrap for the next week or so!

Have a good weekend everyone

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts