Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Grabber C stripe kit from Graphics Express. Other than the basic instructions does anyone have any advise or tips on problems I may run into ? I'm a little concerned because the tech said that the reflective material is thicker than std. graphic material and moisture could remain behind them and form a blister and pop later. Also concerned about when to wrap the remaining 1/4" ends around the doors and fenders (don't want to do it too early or too late) Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My advice is have a pro or someone with alot of experience do it. You only get one shot, it would be a crying shame to mess up a nice paint job.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
I agree with 1971. Also, it would seem that if you cleared it there wouldn't be a problem. And I'm not sure if you could just clear the stripe.
Stan

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Wrap the ends last, but don't wait.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
For my cars I've just used 3-4 drops of dishwashing soap per quart or so of water in a spray bottle, and gently smooth out the decal, while still wet, with a squeege or plastic putty knife. But I've never applied a graphic so large.

There are products that are supposed to dry slower than detergent/water solution, so maybe it would be worth trying something like "Slide-On" gel I've seen advertised. The whole point is to get the graphic aligned and placed before any of your solution dries...as long as it's still wet underneath the decal, you'll be able to squeege out any air pockets. I haven't used any of the slow-drying solutions myself, but it'd be worth looking into for such a large decal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've done two 2nd gen Trans Am's with the big bird on the hood and a Jeep renegade so I've done it a few times. I've used both the soapy water spray bottle as well as the gel you can buy from those places. Don't really prefer on over the other but the gel does stay moist longer and I used it on the bird on the last car since they are so big.

Just start out in the center of the graphic and move to the edges. This includes on the long skinny sections down the sides. If you take the time to go slow and push the bubbles out, you can usually get them all out. When the stripe is on and you step back and like its alignment, get the edges rolled around at that point. If they dry out, just spray them again.
Oh yeah, spray the topside of the graphic as well, to provide lube for the squeegee. You can actually stress the material with a dry squeegee. Ask me how I know. Generally speaking, be generous with the water or gel solution. The glue wont get diluted. You cant hurt it by being too wet but you can hurt it by being dry or it drying out before you've setteled on its position. As for any bubbles you might get, yes you can just pop them with a pin and squegee back over. No prob with that at all. I also typically did this inside a nice cool garage, out of direct sunlight to keep the moisture wet, but when all done the next day I'd pull it out in the sun to help dry it up and set it quicker and try and minimize any bubbles being pulled in from the edges or places that might be stretched slightly.

Take your time and its not a bad job at all. You will be proud of yourself when its done.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the Slide-on Gel from Phoenix Graphics. Talked to a rep. that said it would work well (he thought) with these graphics. I like the idea of extra time. I have applied graphics before without a problem (on my '07 GT), just not reflective ones on my pride and joy. I will spend a lot of time mocking them up before jumping in with the application. If anymore tips please feel free to post( it will probably a few weeks until the day) and Thank's for the reply's. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts