Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used the aero motive 16 gallon stealth or 20 gallon tank yet. I was all set to buy the 16 gallon tank for my 68 and realized they make a 20 gallon for a 69 mustang. I called aero motive and they could not confirm that the 20 gallon 69 tank will fit in a 68. They only make a 16 gallon for a 68.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I saw a magizine article where they used the 20 gal tank in a 67 I think. They had to trim the filler neck so it would fit. I have the 16 gal tank but haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a 22 gallon (spectra) in my '65. You have to trim the filler or order one thats been made to fit it. Im fairly certain the aero motive unit will fit similarly

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
BTW, the tanks that Aeromotive sells are Tanks Inc tanks, modified for their pumps.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Yep, as the others said - you can use the 20 gal no problem, you just need to modify the filler neck to do so. No sweat.

The tank (which is a Tanks Inc tank) is really nice. I like it a lot, very high quality piece. And having the fuel pump mounted from the top of the tank has a lot of benefits, both expected and unexpected. I've had to swap a fuel pump out on the road once and it took me 10 whole minutes... and part of that time was unpacking the trunk. And I've also pulled the fuel pump before so that I could fish part of a gas tank nozzle out of the tank after it fell in during a fillup :shrug:

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 20 gallon tanks are not available yet

You can order one, but they won't be shipping them for another month or two at the soonest is what I was told by Aeromotives VP of Sales, Jon Pestinger.

Soooo, I ordered the 16 gallon tank for now. I will probably eventually upgrade to the 20 gallon unit once they are available.....

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
The 20 gallon tanks are not available yet

You can order one, but they won't be shipping them for another month or two at the soonest is what I was told by Aeromotives VP of Sales, Jon Pestinger.

Soooo, I ordered the 16 gallon tank for now. I will probably eventually upgrade to the 20 gallon unit once they are available.....
I have been waiting for my 16 gallon tank for a month now. They are waiting on a part that is on back order to complete the tanks.

But, as other's have said you can use the 20 gallon with a modified filler available from NPD, CJ's, etc...

As you can see from the pics. posted above these are not the Tanks, Inc. tanks.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

As you can see from the pics. posted above these are not the Tanks, Inc. tanks.
Well, my Aeromotive tank came in a Tanks, Inc box. I believe that Aeromotive has Tanks Inc build the basic tank, then it's sent to Aeromotive to be completed and sold, or Aeromotive sends their parts to Tanks Inc and they build them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Looking at the pictures, I don't see a provision for venting. Is there a vent tube located where it doesn't show up in the photos?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Looking at the pictures, I don't see a provision for venting. Is there a vent tube located where it doesn't show up in the photos?
I just got off the phone with Aeromotive, and the tech told me that a '67 Mustang application vents through the cap, this is for the new Stealth II tank. I have the Stealth 1st gen and there is a vent bung located along with the supply and return.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yep, as the others said - you can use the 20 gal no problem, you just need to modify the filler neck to do so. No sweat.

The tank (which is a Tanks Inc tank) is really nice. I like it a lot, very high quality piece. And having the fuel pump mounted from the top of the tank has a lot of benefits, both expected and unexpected. I've had to swap a fuel pump out on the road once and it took me 10 whole minutes... and part of that time was unpacking the trunk. And I've also pulled the fuel pump before so that I could fish part of a gas tank nozzle out of the tank after it fell in during a fillup :shrug:
A question then for the Road Warrior Princess....How much trunk room did you give up and do you ever miss it when packing your existence into the back of Calamity? Just wondering how great the trade off would be if the missus and I packed stuff for a car show, clothes for a couple nights and makeup for two weeks and hit the road to a Mustang roundup cross country?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been waiting for my 16 gallon tank for a month now. They are waiting on a part that is on back order to complete the tanks.
Two weeks ago Summit Racing had the 16 gallon tanks in stock at all three store locations. Mine came from the TX store.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, my Aeromotive tank came in a Tanks, Inc box. I believe that Aeromotive has Tanks Inc build the basic tank, then it's sent to Aeromotive to be completed and sold, or Aeromotive sends their parts to Tanks Inc and they build them.
My tank was also in another box inside the Aeromotive box but there was no name or any sort of manufacturer info on the inner box.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Two weeks ago Summit Racing had the 16 gallon tanks in stock at all three store locations. Mine came from the TX store.
I ordered mine from Summit when I was in Reno on Aug. 11. The website always said ships tomorrow. But, when I called Aeromotive they told me Summit had 7 PO numbers in the system and a part was on back order.

LOL it is probably the tank itself from Tanks, Inc. that is on back order.

They sent me the install instructions for the Gen II. It says it vents from the cap. If anyone want the pdf PM me. I tried attaching it but it is too large. Maybe I will try and shrink the size later today.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I ordered mine from Summit when I was in Reno on Aug. 11. The website always said ships tomorrow. But, when I called Aeromotive they told me Summit had 7 PO numbers in the system and a part was on back order.

They sent me the install instructions for the Gen II. It says it vents from the cap. If anyone want the pdf PM me. I tried attaching it but it is too large. Maybe I will try and shrink the size later today.
I wasn't going by the info on Summits website but on August 28th I called Summit and that's when they told me they had them in stock at all three locations. Mine was on my doorstep on August 30th.

I guess I just got lucky ?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

Ignore this, I went to their web site and found the instructions there, couldn't download as when requested was given an error message. I have emailed Tech Support for a copy.

BTW, I did notice a substantial difference in price between Aeromotive and Summit, Aero has it for $733.33 and Summit for $561.20, that's a lot of scratch.

Have you been able to manage the size of the pdf for the instructions? I am considering this tank and would like to take a look see. I'll watch for your answer and I can then PM you my email address. Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ignore this, I went to their web site and found the instructions there, couldn't download as when requested was given an error message. I have emailed Tech Support for a copy.

BTW, I did notice a substantial difference in price between Aeromotive and Summit, Aero has it for $733.33 and Summit for $561.20, that's a lot of scratch.

Have you been able to manage the size of the pdf for the instructions? I am considering this tank and would like to take a look see. I'll watch for your answer and I can then PM you my email address. Thanks
I added them to my dropbox. Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi52e5y1lebizgu/181-9707-0norev.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I did get a response from Aeromotive regarding my request for the tank instructions and some clarification on the price difference I mentioned.

The Stealth Tank P/N 18697 is the current, Gen I Stealth Tank. The 18497 is the new style, Gen II Stealth Tank. The differences are laid out in the new Gen II tank general product page:

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/gen2_stealth_tanks/

I’m having the instruction link for the 18697 on our website fixed, that should be available later today. They’ve not finalized instructions for the new Gen II tanks, but there’s little difference from an installation aspect.

Hope that helps, let us know if you need further assistance and thanks for choosing Aeromotive!

Brett Clow

Tech Director

1 - 20 of 39 Posts