Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I ordered mine from Summit around the same time as you, website says shipping April 12. One of the Aero csr's told me they were working on a large order of our tanks and should be shipping in March. In the meantime, I purchased the Holley intank setup that doesn't need the return line. This will go in a 68, hope to have good results with it.
The Aero tank is going in a 70 grabber blue convert.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Has any one received their Stealth II 18147 20 gal tank for '69-'70. I ordered mine Oct 21 2018
I ordered mine about a week after you did through Summit Racing. Well actually, I ordered the first time the end of September, but they cancelled it and I had to reorder. Just received a notice from Summit this morning, that the ship date has been moved out again to 4/12. Probably about the 6th shipping delay in 3 months and the 3rd in the last month. Delivery promise date was 3/9 for months, then a few weeks ago, moved out to 3/29 and now 4/12. I have been in contact with Aeromotive customer service a number of times. Aeromotive has been buried in demand for these tanks since their initial offering. My belief is that the tank for the 69/70 Mustang models is unique and has not made it to production as yet. For my build the Stealth II tank is the best product at the price, just have to wait it out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the April 12 ship date from Summit, but I take it with a grain of salt. As Boss5 pointed out, the ship date has moved further out multiple times.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I got the April 12 ship date from Summit, but I take it with a grain of salt. As Boss5 pointed out, the ship date has moved further out multiple times.
Summit CS told me Monday that it's scheduled to ship 3/6, that was a joke.

At least my car is running and driving. I have the infamous FiTech original Command center which is 3 years old and never gave me a bit of trouble. Just wanted to clean thinks up and become more "stealth" under the hood. I put the CC where the washer bottle was and ran the lines behind the fender apron. Would like to put the washer bottle back. Looks like maybe next winter at this rate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Received an updated ship date from Summit Racing this afternoon, old 4/12 date revised to 3/25. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get the tank before the end of March.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My 20 gallon tank for a 70 Mustang shipped last Thursday, due here tomorrow, yippie! I really hope the product was worth the wait since last October!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I got mine last Tuesday. First thing is they did a lousy paint job, giant runs on left and right sides. Hopefully the exhaust will hide most.

Had to use the car Sunday for a cars and coffee event. So started on it yesterday and hopefully have it done this weekend. Last month ran the the front section fuel lines (engine compartment to trans tail) using copper nickel. Also ran the wiring with a relay back to the tank.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I got mine last Tuesday. First thing is they did a lousy paint job, giant runs on left and right sides. Hopefully the exhaust will hide most.

So started on it yesterday and hopefully have it done this weekend. Last month ran the the front section fuel lines (engine compartment to trans tail) using copper nickel. Also ran the wiring with a relay back to the tank.
Mine arrived today. Once out of the box, my tank also had runs in a couple of places on the sides. Once I dropped it into the car and looked from underneath, the runs are not visible. The tank fits perfectly, I really like the location of the fuel pump and sender port connections, should make for a really clean install. I bought the Aeromotive wiring kit recommended with the included relay, nice.

I am starting to plan my plumbing. Like you I want to do the nickel copper fuel lines. Question, did you run any flex line from the pump and the return ports at the tank? Pictures of what you did would be very helpful and instructive. I have make nickel copper brake lines before, but this will be my first rodeo on the fuel lines. The 4-link suspension cradle gets busy back there, looking for suggestions as how to make the connections the easiest and to stay out of the way of the exhaust.

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
775 Posts
In the rear I just duplicated the stock line on the drivers side. I'm going to mirror the return line on pass side just like if it had a stock line.

I toyed with putting flex line out of the tank but just had the hard line instead. Nothing moves back there and my thought is the flexible line may induce movement. Besides adding more connections.

I ran line's up the trans tunnel with a flex line going to the TB. At the end of the frame rail (where you would connect frame rail connectors) line make's a 90* towards outside of car and would meet up with the stock line if were there. That's why I duped the rear lines. That's where fuel filter would be. On pass side just have a union connector. Used AN fittings.

I'm using the cooper nickel for the first time. Bends easier than steel but like on 90*'s you get small ripples on the inside bend. I am using a tubing bender. Needed to order another 25' roll. The front sections are 5' each but duping the rear line is like 10' each.

My filler neck has a fitting to accept a 1/4" line that was the vent for the Fitech Command center and will use it to put a Tanks roll-over vent valve behind the 1/4 extension. By the way that command center was unmodified and never gave me any problems in 3 years

I would of used less line if I went down the drive shaft tunnel all the way. My thought was there is too much heat by the mufflers and exhaust.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I currently have the infamous Spectra EFI tank and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy let alone a friend. I'm wanting to ditch the Spectra tank with Aeromotive tank eventually if it works out for others. I guess the puzzling thing to me is why is the tank painted on the outside instead of galvanized? More importantly, is the inside galvanized, painted, or just plain untreated steel?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I currently have the infamous Spectra EFI tank and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy let alone a friend. I'm wanting to ditch the Spectra tank with Aeromotive tank eventually if it works out for others. I guess the puzzling thing to me is why is the tank painted on the outside instead of galvanized? More importantly, is the inside galvanized, painted, or just plain untreated steel?
I looked at the product description on the Summit website. The tank is painted steel, not galvanized or stainless. I will contact Aeromotive tech support tomorrow as I am really curious as to what was done on the inside. I would hope it was treated internally and painted on the outside. I have read where some folks believe Ricks Tanks makes the fuel tanks and Aeromotive installs the pump and sending unit but I cannot confirm this. Ricks uses galvanized steel for the tanks on their website. They also specialize in GM products and do not list a standard Mustang tank at all.

Alan

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I looked at the product description on the Summit website. The tank is painted steel, not galvanized or stainless. I will contact Aeromotive tech support tomorrow as I am really curious as to what was done on the inside. I would hope it was treated internally and painted on the outside. I have read where some folks believe Ricks Tanks makes the fuel tanks and Aeromotive installs the pump and sending unit but I cannot confirm this. Ricks uses galvanized steel for the tanks on their website. They also specialize in GM products and do not list a standard Mustang tank at all.

Alan
Curious to hear what you find out. My only option is alcohol gas at 10 to 15% given my location in the corn belt. Plain steel innards is a definite no go!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it but it a good gauge of metal. It has the attached picture of an emblem on the bottom of the tank.

I like the Stealth technology but didn't want the lines coming out of the top of the tank. I did have a stainless tank I put in a couple of years ago. I liked it and I'm sure it was an offshore tank.

Stealth II tank with the connections in stock location was appealing.

Seems like they had a lot of interest in it and took 4 months to get.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it but it a good gauge of metal.

I like the Stealth technology but didn't want the lines coming out of the top of the tank.

Yeah, I agree with all that you said above. After closer to 5 months for my order, 6 if you include the first order that was cancelled, it is not going back! The tech support and sales guys were great in answering my questions during the order period, hopefully they will be forthcoming on the materials used.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah, I agree with all that you said above. After closer to 5 months for my order, 6 if you include the first order that was cancelled, it is not going back! The tech support and sales guys were great in answering my questions during the order period, hopefully they will be forthcoming on the materials used.
I sent a email on 3/29 to Aeromotive regarding the paint issues as well as asking about tank material, internal coating if any, and compatibility with ethanol in fuels including E85. I have not received a reply. This is not going to change anything for me, however they had been very responsive in answering questions up to this point, so I am a bit disappointed that these questions were not answered.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm not sure who makes it but it a good gauge of metal. It has the attached picture of an emblem on the bottom of the tank.

I like the Stealth technology but didn't want the lines coming out of the top of the tank. I did have a stainless tank I put in a couple of years ago. I liked it and I'm sure it was an offshore tank.

Here is a pic of my 20 gallon Spectra Premium tank I pulled. Notice the logo. It matches the Aeromotive tank. lol
I knew I remembered that logo when I looked at my Gen11 tank. I guess they use Spectra tanks. Cut a hole in them and add their pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here is a pic of my 20 gallon Spectra Premium tank I pulled. Notice the logo. It matches the Aeromotive tank. lol
I knew I remembered that logo when I looked at my Gen11 tank. I guess they use Spectra tanks. Cut a hole in them and add their pump.
Good detective work! What doesn't make sense with Aeromotive is if you buy there Stealth retro fit kit that you cut a hole in your tank it's like $500. The Stealth II tank with the Stealth pump module, a fuel sender and tank is $500. Your basically getting the tank and sender for free and it's installed!

I just seen Holley just came out with a pump module, hydro mat and sender that fits the stock location for around $340. It's also internally regulated so it's no return line.

I prefer a return line. With a no return you can get vapor lock after a hot soak. The fuel pressure bleeds down to where the fuel in the throttle body can boil. On restart that pocket of vapor can cause rough idle till it finally is displaced with new fuel. The only way it will work is if there is a check valve on the pump to maintain fuel pressure. The Aeromotive system hold pressure for 40-60 mins

With a return system soon as your pump runs it "flushes" out any vapor with new fuel. Also found on cold or sitting starts for day's it use to crank 5 or 6 revolutions to start. With the return system it starts like 1 revolution. That's just my experience as I have had both and I like the return system

21 - 39 of 39 Posts