Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking for suspension upgrades that the common man can afford. The more I work on the car, the more I want to steer clear of the stock suspension. So, saying that, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Having been going through this same predicament myself here for the last few months, affordable is not a word that comes to mind, especially when "non-stock" comes into play. Of course theres the Shelby drop, which is free, but that's stock suspension. Coil over systems are outrageous, so that's out. Even stock suspension upgrades aren't cheap. I just dropped $400 on shocks and $300 on adjustable strut rods. I want roller perches too, but there's another $200. In retrospect, I might have been just as well off buying a whole r&p/ coil over/disc brake setup. However, if there are any good cheap upgrades, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First, what kind of budget are you on?

Second, what are you looking for from your suspension? Better handling? Smoother ride? Stance? There are lots of budget stuff you can do that can improve any of these. For example, if you want better handling, consider that these cars were raced with basically stock style suspension in road racing and even rally. All the old mods that were done (way before rack & pinion or coilover conversions were even a consideration) still work. I think a lot of folks have either forgotten or never knew the old stuff that worked. Maybe we need to start a list to remind folks. But basic stuff like the Shelby drop, bigger sway bars, uprated lowering and/or progressive rate coil and leaf springs, watts link, traction bars, urethane bushings, gas shocks, etc. all make a good bit of difference over the mediocre original spec stuff. And if you want upgrades on a budget, you can check out some of the old school stuff in the Boss 302 chassis/suspension prep manuals, from Global West, Pro-motorsports, and Maier, and check out DIY stuff like roller spring perches, etc.

Now, all of that said, you do have to realize that the new fancy suspension stuff is good stuff generally. It works better and it would probably be more satisfying in the end. Does that justify the cost? Probably. But does that mean we can all afford it? Definitely not, even if we really really really want it. But you should consider if waiting longer, saving up, spending more money, and getting better stuff, giving you a better car and better driving experience is worth it.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have a pretty minimal budget for everything so unfortunately my car is no exception. My suspension upgrades consist only of #550 1" drop coils, 5 leaf mid-eye rear springs, new poly pushings in everything and an export brace and M/C bar. The car already handles a lot better than before, the ride is much smoother, it stays level in hard turns and I love the stance. For the daily/spirited driving I do, it worked out really well.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I have a pretty minimal budget for everything so unfortunately my car is no exception. My suspension upgrades consist only of #550 1" drop coils, 5 leaf mid-eye rear springs, new poly pushings in everything and an export brace and M/C bar. The car already handles a lot better than before, the ride is much smoother, it stays level in hard turns and I love the stance. For the daily/spirited driving I do, it worked out really well.
Hi,

I have a nice set of upper A arms with greasable shafts that have been out fitted with negative wedge ball joints. these were used when lowering the front susp. 1.5". I have the drill plates, as well. I'm not asking a lot. If interested PM. Also have a manual Rack & pinion too. This was on my 65.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
For most people; 620 springs up front (~550lb), 4 1/2 link rear springs, 1" sway bar up front, arning/shelby drop and shocks (avoid gas lift shocks) with good stock everything else will be a great start. Oh yea, don't forget the export brace and Monte Carlo bar...

If you are into a little more aggressive which means riding in a popcorn machine and road noise, go 5 link in back and poly bushings. From there you are getting out of the affordable range if you have to ask...

Good luck,

M

·
Registered
269 Posts
For most people; 620 springs up front (~550lb), 4 1/2 link rear springs, 1" sway bar up front, arning/shelby drop and shocks (avoid gas lift shocks) with good stock everything else will be a great start. Oh yea, don't forget the export brace and Monte Carlo bar...

If you are into a little more aggressive which means riding in a popcorn machine and road noise, go 5 link in back and poly bushings. From there you are getting out of the affordable range if you have to ask...

Good luck,

M
To clarify... I think you must mean leaf instead of "link" in reference to rear springs. The term "link" in reference to rear suspension design typically refers to the number of pick-up points used to locate the rear axle member.

And btw, have "620" springs been measured to be ~550 lbs in actual application, because I thought they are supposed to be 620 lbs/inch, thus the "620" designation.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The setup in my signature feels great. Sticking with a factory non power steering setup, and a roller idler can give you pretty good steering. If I did one thing different, I'd go with progressive front springs foe smoother street driving.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm gonna be doing the suspension on my car this summer. I'm thinking roller perches, roller idler arm, Gas-a-just front shocks, GR2 rear, 1 inch front sway bar, new BJs and rubber bushings...maybe poly bushings.

I'm on the fence about springs. I like the stock ride height, but want better handling.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go with bigger sway bars to limit body roll and improve handling and keep the stock springs. I do wonder if someone out there offers an improved rate original height coil. Hmmm...

I think Eaton will make a set for you. They say they can make anything you want.

·
Registered
116 Posts
whats your definition of cheap? and upgrade can be alot of things. i put a cj pony grab-a-track kit in a 69 fastback. made a huge diff. it was a grand though but i thought it was worth it

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
suspension

69, whats wrong with the stock suspension ? If you really want to stay within a reasonable budget, rework the stock stuff. Don't let anyone tell you the design is outdated or any crap like that. Look at some of the newer cars out there with strut suspension up front...they're made that way because its cheap to do so. Performance cars get a short arm long front suspension alot like what we already have. How about mid eye 4 & 1/2 leafs in the back, and lowered upper arms in the front, new front springs with a 1 inch bar and the 'cheap big brakes' mentioned on this forum. It isn't the very best of everything out there, but it wouldn't cost a fortune, would do much better thanstock, and not kill the bank account. Whats not to like ? LSG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts