Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a set of AFR 220 heads that I’m having issues getting ports to line up. Procharged 427w, afr220 72cc renegade heads, crane cam. I purchased these heads new with the understanding they would work with a Vic jr or performer rpm intake. I realize that these intakes are small for this combination but hood clearance is primary concern.
I spoke with AFR and their tech was stumped why these ports don’t line up. Waiting on call back from a senior guy
13582DC2-523E-4016-A296-F939DB7C7ECB.jpeg
67D93DE0-0854-410B-9523-B39FB4C54AF0.jpeg
6CA21469-233E-4555-918A-7871F3D6BFB3.jpeg
E0EB8DD4-7206-439D-BB40-4D30C350704B.jpeg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a stupid question:) That’s what everyone has asked I have spoken with. It’s not a deck height issue. All bolt holes line up, parts are brand new with no machining. This is a 7181 rpm performer. I also have a Vic jr I’m going to bring to my engine next week so he can try. But from the research I have done they appear to be almost identical. 🤔

·
Registered
561 Posts
AFR says that their Renegade heads have the intake ports raised 3/8 inch higher than stock. Does that mean that they require a specific intake to match them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The have seen both the Vic jr and Rpm performer as “suggested” intakes depending what website you go on. I’m fairly confident that the super Vic has higher ports but that would even come close to fitting under my hood.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
AFR says that their Renegade heads have the intake ports raised 3/8 inch higher than stock. Does that mean that they require a specific intake to match them?
It’s the exhaust ports that are raised, the intakes are in the stock location.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Not a stupid question:) That’s what everyone has asked I have spoken with. It’s not a deck height issue. All bolt holes line up, parts are brand new with no machining. This is a 7181 rpm performer. I also have a Vic jr I’m going to bring to my engine next week so he can try. But from the research I have done they appear to be almost identical. 🤔
I would guess that the Performer RPM manifold you have was boxed and/or machined incorrectly. Hopefully the Vic JR helps clear this up. Edelbrock just went through some reorganization, this could be some fallout from that.

Rusty

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would guess that the Performer RPM manifold you have was boxed and/or machined incorrectly. Hopefully the Vic JR helps clear this up. Edelbrock just went through some reorganization, this could be some fallout from that.

Rusty
I hope it’s the case!

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
:eek: Wow!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motox, does the factory iron intake fit ? That would tell you if the intake you have is too narrow. LSG
Not 100% what you mean by the factory iron intake? I did measure my Vic jr intake and it appears to be the same as the rpm. Going to try and fit it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Just a theory, but those heads probably have 1/2 inch head bolt holes. If they are mounted on block that is drilled for 7/16 inch bolts and you didn't use the required spacers to center the bolts the heads might be sitting 1/16 off on both sides.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Just a theory, but those heads probably have 1/2 inch head bolt holes. If they are mounted on block that is drilled for 7/16 inch bolts and you didn't use the required spacers to center the bolts the heads might be sitting 1/16 off on both sides.
He has a 351 based stroker, and those blocks use 1/2” head bolts.

Rusty

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Not 100% what you mean by the factory iron intake? I did measure my Vic jr intake and it appears to be the same as the rpm. Going to try and fit it up tomorrow.
He means the stock ford oem intake manifold, if you have it. the original 351w intake is 100% going to fit correctly, so if it does not fit then the problem is in your AFR heads. If the original intake manifold fit the afr heads then the problem is your edelbrock intake.... my money is on the edelbrock was machined wrong

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He means the stock ford oem intake manifold, if you have it. the original 351w intake is 100% going to fit correctly, so if it does not fit then the problem is in your AFR heads. If the original intake manifold fit the afr heads then the problem is your edelbrock intake.... my money is on the edelbrock was machined wrong
Gotcha! I never ran a stock intake, the block is from Ford Racing. It’s their aftermarket boss 351w stroker. The internals are not stock but the blocks measurements are the same as a stock 351w.

I had previously had ford z304da heads and switched my setup for boost. The 72cc chamber lowered my compression a bit. I wasn’t able to get to the shop today but will find out by tomorrow what’s up. Have you ever heard of out of the box intakes being machined wrong? Crazy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotcha! I never ran a stock intake, the block is from Ford Racing. It’s their aftermarket boss 351w stroker. The internals are not stock but the blocks measurements are the same as a stock 351w.

I had previously had ford z304da heads and switched my setup for boost. The 72cc chamber lowered my compression a bit. I wasn’t able to get to the shop today but will find out by tomorrow what’s up. Have you ever heard of out of the box intakes being machined wrong? Crazy!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
My 302 Performer RPM manifold measures over 2 inches narrower. I know it‘s not as accurate as yours, but should be good enough for 302 vs 351 reference.

Rusty

1 - 20 of 35 Posts