Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Hope it works out for you. It's hiccups like these that kill my motivation and make everything take longer. I had a number of them during my project, some due to poor information online, others due to bad parts from supposedly good vendors / manufacturers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
100%!!! I hate having to spend money twice to redo things that should have been done the right way. The guy who assembled my engine didn’t do anything right. Luckily he gave me all the measurement sheets and the clearances were off so bad I had to pull the motor again and start over. This prompted me to upgrade and land into this situation

I mean he wrote down my main bearing clearances at .001 .001 .015 .015 .015 if that tells u anything. 2.74” journals

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hope it works out for you. It's hiccups like these that kill my motivation and make everything take longer. I had a number of them during my project, some due to poor information online, others due to bad parts from supposedly good vendors / manufacturers.

almost no difference 😡
BEA604D1-646D-4C0C-8323-1E6C3A42862F.png

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I don't get it. Did you end up with the mythical and elusive 9.75 deck 351w block or something?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Can you take a measurement from the top of the intake port to the opposite side intake port on the heads( drivers to passenger side). I can measure my afr205's on a production 351w roller block and compare the two. My super victor intake lines up really well only needs a little port matching

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Can you take a measurement from the top of the intake port to the opposite side intake port on the heads( drivers to passenger side). I can measure my afr205's on a production 351w roller block and compare the two. My super victor intake lines up really well only needs a little port matching
11.115”

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I don't get it. Did you end up with the mythical and elusive 9.75 deck 351w block or something?
That makes two of us! I would need a 5/16” or .290” spacer each side to get right. Everything is new out of the box, no machining on anything.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I had to get thicker intake gaskets for my rig because my heads are angle milled. For your deal I looked up the 220's and the specs just suggest a 1262R intake gasket. There are at least a R1 thru R5 of these gaskets. The R5's are .120 thick with 2.25 x 1.40 port dimensions. Those dimensions look be be a good fit for the 220 heads.

I also had to open up my Vic Jr intake because its ports were way too small for my heads. I have been told that this is kind of normal considering how many different port dimension heads you can bolt on one of these engines now. They cast them on the small side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had to get thicker intake gaskets for my rig because my heads are angle milled. For your deal I looked up the 220's and the specs just suggest a 1262R intake gasket. There are at least a R1 thru R5 of these gaskets. The R5's are .120 thick with 2.25 x 1.40 port dimensions. Those dimensions look be be a good fit for the 220 heads.

I also had to open up my Vic Jr intake because its ports were way too small for my heads. I have been told that this is kind of normal considering how many different port dimension heads you can bolt on one of these engines now. They cast them on the small side.
Right on. I think that’s the plan.
To bad AFR cannot answer these kinds of questions.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Right on. I think that’s the plan.
To bad AFR cannot answer these kinds of questions.
Precisely! You would think that they would know their products inside out! They could have saved you a lot of time and frustration by letting you know this was a possibility.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Knowing about it is about 1% as good as just making **** that works. You got common intakes, common blocks, common heads- they should work together, and, if not, one of those three companies has screwed up. You know that commercial where the old lady returns the tire by throwing it through the window? I don't want to egg on your anger, but that's about where I would be with it.

Going from small to big is not that big a deal. Most of the pros don't even seem to care about it until hp/ci that very few will achieve. It's the other way that is problematic. You wouldn't want to put a Super Victor on stock iron heads because your air- and, more importantly, fuel- will be hitting a wall.

·
Registered
110 Posts
there are 9.5" deck height specific manifolds. I think you need to get one or the spacers as mentioned.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts