Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at heads for my 408 stroker build. If I were to say I'm putting a 190 head on I'm sure I'd get some kick back saying I'm choking the motor but the Trick Flow 190's flow almost the exact same intake and exhaust as the AFR 205's. I'm leaning towards the Trick Flow CNC Ported because they are a few hundred cheaper.

What are your thoughts on the Trick Flow 190 ($1700 fully assembled) vs the AFR 205 ($2200 fully assembled) which appear to have the same flow numbers?

I will be asking the builder too but wanted to see what you guys think. I'm leaning hard towards Trick Flow.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
While I run AFR 165's on my little 289, my first impression is to go with the Trick Flow for your application. I like that the intake valve is a bit smaller and I like the 56cc chambers vs 58cc for a little more squeeze. In either case, make sure you have the appropriate pistons to work with the valves.

This is worth a look:

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
739 Posts
While I run AFR 165's on my little 289, my first impression is to go with the Trick Flow for your application. I like that the intake valve is a bit smaller and I like the 56cc chambers vs 58cc for a little more squeeze. In either case, make sure you have the appropriate pistons to work with the valves.

This is worth a look:

That was a good video! When I go to build my 347, Im torn between the 195s and 205's however I suspect zero difference between the two. It was really interesting how well the 165s flowed!!
Chris

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
That was a good video! When I go to build my 347, Im torn between the 195s and 205's however I suspect zero difference between the two. It was really interesting how well the 165s flowed!!
Chris
At .550 lift the flows are nearly identical between the 195 and 205. I would probably go 195's just to have more velocity and smaller intake valves. Given how well the 165's worked on a 408, you might consider the 185's and save yourself 5 bills.

Granted, they admitted having a "small" cam in the engine. But one would wonder if a 205's would fall over on a 347 the way the 220's did on the 408. I am sure expected RPM range would play into that. Drivability & throttle response are considerations too.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good video. I'm likely going to go with a bigger cam though (~.550?) so the TF190 or AFR205 might be my sweet spot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe those are both such big heads that they are called "high port" heads. Meaning that the exhaust port is not in the stock location. I do not know of any header manufacturers which make exhaust headers compatible with anything but exhaust ports in the stock location for a 351w in a 65-66.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I believe those are both such big heads that they are called "high port" heads. Meaning that the exhaust port is not in the stock location. I do not know of any header manufacturers which make exhaust headers compatible with anything but exhaust ports in the stock location for a 351w in a 65-66.
...but they will still work with Hipo manifolds or shorty headers to avoid all the headaches with long tubes, right? (totally joking)

For AFR, anything above a 185 have ports that are raised by varying amounts. From what I can see on the Trick Flow install sheet they MAY be in the stock location. There is a typo, so I would want to talk to someone to be 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
The AFR 205 heads’ exhaust port is raised .125”, 1/8”. With the higher deck height of the 351, it shouldn’t create much more of an issue and if anything it might help since the shock towers get wider the higher you go.

Rusty

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have the Trick Flow 220 on a Dart 363 and FPA headers fit just fine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Trick Flow exhaust ports are stock location but they need a Trick Flow specific piston unless you run a small cam.

Reactions: bikefreak600

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The Trick Flow exhaust ports are stock location but they need a Trick Flow specific piston unless you run a small cam.
Thank you for being the guy to point that out "this time". Enjoy the deniers that will post now. Call Trick Flow if you have any questions. They are good heads though

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
you can't compare port volumes between many different heads because the port length is different between many of them. the TW has a shorter port, so it's volumes are smaller than a similar flowing AFR.

·
I won a special award
7,917 Posts
I like my AFR 205's. They also have a dual exhaust port bolt pattern. Makes it nice for bolting and unbolting my headers.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Interesting test. I'm surprised that the 220 cc head doesn't do any better than the 165, because the 165 cc is really small for a 408 CID engine. When you scale it down, it would be like a 117 cc head on a 289 (stock 289 heads are ~135cc). Even 220 cc is not very big for a 408: it's like a 155 cc head on a 289 (like a GT40P head).

I guess the lack of difference is due to the moderate cam, although there're a significant gain in flow between 0.400 to 0.500" lift, but apparently that didn't help any.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Interesting test. I'm surprised that the 220 cc head doesn't do any better than the 165, because the 165 cc is really small for a 408 CID engine. When you scale it down, it would be like a 117 cc head on a 289 (stock 289 heads are ~135cc). Even 220 cc is not very big for a 408: it's like a 155 cc head on a 289 (like a GT40P head).

I guess the lack of difference is due to the moderate cam, although there're a significant gain in flow between 0.400 to 0.500" lift, but apparently that didn't help any.

View attachment 789927
that cylinder head video should have been called "what happens when you put a 250cfm flowing intake manifold on a big engine with small, medium and large heads" The only real testing showed how mismatched the rpm intake is on the 220 heads. If they would have at minimum port matched that intake to the 220 head, the outcome would have been much different. But i guess if you are not interested in knowing why one part didnt work as well as another then just buy the cheap head and be happy with what you get !

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
that cylinder head video should have been called "what happens when you put a 250cfm flowing intake manifold on a big engine with small, medium and large heads" The only real testing showed how mismatched the rpm intake is on the 220 heads. If they would have at minimum port matched that intake to the 220 head, the outcome would have been much different. But i guess if you are not interested in knowing why one part didnt work as well as another then just buy the cheap head and be happy with what you get !
True, that was also a limiting factor. The Performer RPM is a good intake, but I guess at 470+ hp you're probably reaching its limits. On the other hand, if it's the intake that's holding the 220 cc head back, then it should at least have matched the 195 cc head in power, but it was worse.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Neither of those heads are high ports. They have a raised port, but any header will work fine.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
And all that video demonstrates is the importance of a matched combination. Swapping heads and not changing the cam and intake is dumb. All it did was create a crappy set of parts that didn’t work together.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts