Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I've got to admit that if I had the disposable income to buy a new Shelby (GT350R probably) I'd be very tempted to move that direction.

But I don't and I've got 42 years of memories tied up in my 1965 Convertible. Still have "upgrades" to it that I'm working on. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Oh yeah, I can relate. Consider if you get your Mach 1 dialed in nicely with an electronic ignition, maintenance will be pretty minimal; mostly oil and filter changes. Surely you can find someone local to do those things for you if need be.

It's a matter of what your passion is. My Mustang club has slowly evolved into mostly newer Mustangs for all the reasons you mentioned. You go to the dealer and get a worry-free car you can drive cross country with more power and better handling than the classic. For most people, it's win-win.

Then again, my club went on a long haul cruise last summer and stopped in a small town for coffee. All the cars were lined up on the main street. There was a Saline, a new Bullitt GT and even a new Shelby. We drew a crowd and every person walked right past all those new cars, stopped in front of my 1970 Mach 1 and said, "Who owns this car!". I feel the same way. And that's why I fight the good fight. To each his or her own.
I get the same thing with my 77 shovelhead too, folks walk past a $40K Harleys and gawk at my old shovel like it is in a museum. i get the same with the fastback........

·
Premium Member
6,710 Posts
When I am not feeling quite up to things (4 broken vertebrae Uncle Sam OH-58 Helicopter Crash) like these guys

I find it is good to have a chat with some old friends about what they would do in the same situation, with a hurt back, eyes not the way they used to be, get tired sometime.

They always seem to be telling me how good I have it, and keep doing it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
BP,

imho, this falls under the ole cheaper to keep her category.
You will likely not get out of them half what up put int them $+time and energy, cost you 2x to replace and still not be completely trouble free.
To my way of thinking, if it has **** or wheels it will cause you trouble, just stay clear of the red heads and you will be fine.
Nothing like the sound of a happy old school v8 on a early Sat morning drive to me.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
its not about $$$ or what I can get out of it. I really dont care what i have into it

it just dont interest me anymore. i haven't shown the car in 10 years.

another reason is im tired of the gut feeling when i leave the house if I'll be waiting for a hook all day all day on the side of the road

still has the original starter. its 50 yrs old. should I replace it for the hell of it or take me chances with it.

same with the hard fuel and brake lines. and the tank.

i just dont want to be bothered with it any of it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like its time to sell and get something you will enjoy. We're not getting any younger. I'd be looking at one of those new Corvettes if you don't have any need for a back seat. Good Luck BP.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like its time to sell and get something you will enjoy. We're not getting any younger. I'd be looking at one of those new Corvettes if you don't have any need for a back seat. Good Luck BP.
When I look at the new Corvettes all I see is Asian styling, no thank you.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I don't have the energy I use to have but I tell myself it's sitting in the garage and I work on it when I can. Plus its a father son project. I want him to experience some of the old school cars. I find it very tiring sometimes and often think I should have just bought something new and bolted on a big turbo kit or something. But I find myself still wanting the old school mustang.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm guessing you had a bad day working on something and your venting. I get it, if I get 5% of what I think I planned to get done it was a good day. I can no longer plan what I'm going to each day. Now I just go until I breakdown. Usually about two-hours of easy work and I'm broken. I'm in too much pain to continue. The pain sucks the life out of me. Meds don't work, the best thing is to try and sleep to escape from the pain. Even when I'm working on cars in my dreams I'm in pain in my dreams. My whole life revolves around working on projects, which is why my body is shot at only 58 year's old. Between work and home I literally wore it out, used of the cartilage and vertebrate discs. If this was a 1000 year's ago natural selection would have had a wild animal kill me before I had gotten into this bad of shape. The worse part is knowing its going get worse with time.

I cannot keep up anymore with what I have spent my entire life accumulating. I won't pay anybody, not because I'm cheap but because I want to do it myself. I don't want a car somebody else built for me. Why would I want a car somebody else built?

I had another interest, I "had" a vision of retiring and fishing off the rocks at the SoCal beaches and then they went and turned it all into a marine preserve. The places I fished as a kid. There went that dream. I don't know what's worse, getting old or living in CA?

I can't bend-over because it hurts too bad. I can't see unless I take a picture of something and enlarge it. My brain wants go work on stuff and my body just flips me off and refuses to cooperate. I'm only 58. two back surgeries, three shoulder surgeries and a failed cornea transplant. Now I'm living on pain pills and they only get rid of 20% of the pain.

I use to maintain 100% of everything, on 157 phone company vehicles by myself. All the repairs, services, Bit inspections, aerial boom inspections, tires, smog inspection, all of it done in-house by me. Now I don't feel like working on just one of my 15 Ford projects. I spent the morning at the neurologist for back and leg pain. I either sell all this crap that took my whole life to acquire. I should sell the cars but then its all over. Everything I worked for so I could retire and restore cars. I brake lathes, hydraulic press ignition scope. hoist , rotisseries, distributor machine, gas, mig and tig welders. A paint booth. A 2500 sf garage. I have more equipment than 90% of the auto repair shops and probably ten-times the knowledge. I let my smog license expire, I let my 17 ASE certifications expire. I let my Class A truck driver's license with a hazmat endorsement expire. I use to help write the CA State Smog License questions for licensing technicians. I let that go. I can't do any of that stuff for a living anymore but I did not expect to get to the point I didn't want to work on my own stuff anymore. The pain has just worn me down. I just don't get up out of a chair, I have to think about a minute because its gonna hurt big-time.

If any you guy's are young and you think you want to be a mechanic for a living you better think twice. Go get a Mechanical Engineering degree. Be the guy that designs the cars not the poor guy that works on them. All of the Verizon mechanics are breaking down in their 50s. Three-quarters of them have had shoulder surgeries or shoulder replacements. Then there is that exposure to chemicals. I'm having some neurological issues. I just have to wonder about all those gasoline baths I've taken, year's of absorbing carb cleaner and antifreeze did not damage my nervous system. Not to mention the asbestos I use to blow it out of my nose from doing clutch and brake jobs. I keep waiting for one of those asbestos seeds to spout.

Cars are a terrible hobby and an even worse career choice. But the brain wants what the brain wants. For some people its cigarettes, alcohol and heroin and for others its Mustang fastbacks, 4-speeds, shaker hoods. As hard as it is for me to drag my butt out to work on my projects I'm no going to let this old body stop the 18 year-old kid that lives in my head!

View attachment 745484
That was real sad Vintage Ford Guy ☹ Wish you the best with your fight for your health. But you’re right on many career aspects.... being an auto mechanic was not the career for me. I got out of the business 20 years ago and I’m in my 40s now + still feel like a kid. Everything is going electronic. Soon even the cars themselves.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
its not about $$$ or what I can get out of it. I really dont care what i have into it

it just dont interest me anymore. i haven't shown the car in 10 years.

another reason is im tired of the gut feeling when i leave the house if I'll be waiting for a hook all day all day on the side of the road

still has the original starter. its 50 yrs old. should I replace it for the hell of it or take me chances with it.

same with the hard fuel and brake lines. and the tank.

i just dont want to be bothered with it any of it
Nobody knows what you want, or what's best for you, except you. I hate responses to threads like this because 75% of them are projections of their feelings onto you. "Since I feel this way about this hobby, so should you."

You started the thread seeking validation of your desire to get out of the hobby, not to be talked out of it. I get it. You have lost the flame for it, the passion is no longer there. That's when it stops becoming a hobby and starts becoming a chore. The same thing has happened to me to some extent. I understand how you feel and it's completely valid.

If you want to sell your stuff and get out of it, then absolutely do it! You won't have it hanging over your head anymore and you will feel liberated and relieved. You've been at this for over 40 years; that's enough to know what you're in for and what you'll be out. You've been at this long enough to be informed enough to know your decision is what's right for you. You'll like the extra space you get, or the lack of clutter, and the peace of mind will bring you less stress.

You don't need validation from anybody else but yourself; they don't understand your situation like you do. If you're tired of it, and you've made your mind up, don't fret about it anymore. Get rid of everything and find new enjoyment in your life.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I completely agree with the last posters comments. If you haven't had the car out for 10 years or haven't driven for enjoyment because you are constantly worried about it breaking down then it is time to get out. You won't be looked down on by the mustang community if you do. Others have gotten out old car hobby I see it all the time. I just sold my mustang because it has taken more than two seasons to get it from project status to having it run consistently. My car was stored an hour away from home and I was getting tired of making the drive back and forth and not having time for other things. I nearly got out for good, but I got another car because I still think I have the desire to drive/tinker with an older car. I've been in the hobby for 40 years too turning 60 this year - and if becomes a chore then I'm out too. We all have to know when enough is enough. Sounds like that you have had enough.

Dean

·
Registered
2 Posts
everything everybody has said is completly true and i fully agree with all of it, but at 64 years old & still with a collection of old 60's mopar, ford,oldsmobile & 70 & 80s british fords, 2 petrol head sons, a garage repair business of 44 years & still working 4 days a week and 2 days a week on the collection & like some, its getting harder kneeling, lying upside down, lent over, and arms bent double, **** parts supplied and quality stuff expensive, i still get a great kick from getting em running and looking great with all there faults.
When you rumble down the rd, go to a show or just park up, it somehow seems all worth it when someone admires these cars and says "i would luv to own a car like that" and when you get back in and drive it home, get out and stand back and take in the sheer beautiful works of art these car are you think i am 1 lucky person.
These cars have a soul and heritage modern cars DONT! and our grandchildren will not ever experience what we have when it come to motor cars an bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone's posts have brought out many memories and thoughts that I certainly identify with. My problems started in 1979 when a huge tornado destroyed my 69 Boss 302 that I bought in 1973. I could not part with it as my wife and I owned it as an only car when we were married in 1975. I put it in the back yard telling myself I would get it going again some day. I bought a 70 Boss 302 with a bad motor a few months after the tornado . I dropped my 69 engine in it but never got back to finish it. It still sits in my garage. A wife, kids, career and life in general seemed more important. But I never stopped buying more Ford stuff. I would buy and sell all kinds of cars, motors, etc. Now I am closing in on 70yrs old. I have been through many heart attacks,and other various surgeries-neck,knees,shoulder, etc. My brain has always told me I would get back on my projects. It just has not happened. My best friend-and the last of my pals who tinkered with cars died 2 years ago. 18 months ago I bought a 2013 absolutely perfect black GT/CS to hopefully relight my fire. I have only driven it 750 miles this past year. I guess my fire has burned out. Now I, like many of you guys, have a huge shop,many tools,cars and parts. I am trying to make myself sell it all but I just don't know where to start. I am afraid I might pass on and leave my wife, kids, and grandkids with 'all my junk' as they call it. They tell me to get rid of all that 'junk' and just have fun with my other hobby- firearms and shooting. So yes I do identify with many of you but I just can't seem to 'pull the trigger' and start liquidating. Good luck to us all. Rod- in north Texas

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm quite young by comparison, but let me tell you, I'm well aware that my energy and body just aren't what they were 10 years ago when I was restoring my late grandmothers 79' Nova. I've worked too long on too many things and my body and mind are paying the price. I would get up at 5am, jog on the treadmill, get to work at 7am, work until 7pm, shove a biscuit in my mouth for supper, work until 12am on the car, grab a shower, then go to bed and do it all over again.

10 years does a lot.

My back hurts, my knees pop, both ankles have been broken and are permanently stiff, and without contacts I'm blind as a bat. Now I'm married to someone with a chronic medical condition, seen more hospital rooms and surgeries with her than anyone at my age should have seen. Academia is full of long days, mentally exhausting, with little to show for your efforts. Now with my own house and many cars to keep up, constantly doing everything myself because my labor is free and I don't trust anyone else to do the job right, it wears on you.

My Dad has had two knee replacements, neck and back surgery, my mother has had knee surgery and both are riddled with arthritis, and neither have had hobbies as physical as I have. So genetics aside, I can only imagine what shape I'll be in in another 20 years.

Even at my young(ish) age, I too have posed that question to myself. I love these cars, but is it worth all the effort? I'm so tired and have no time to myself and can't keep up with the backlog of projects I already have.

Really, it all comes down to you. If you've enjoyed the hobby, enjoyed the car, but now you're sick of it and it's just going to sit, I think no one would fault you for selling it to someone that can continue to preserve and enjoy it. I have no children and can't have children, so I'll never have anyone to pass my car on to in the family. But if the time came where I was unable to work on it, or was so sick and tired of working on it I never wanted to, I wouldn't feel bad selling it to someone that could enjoy it for another 40 years as I did.

These cars will outlive us with proper maintenance. Our bodies are flesh and have limited lifespans. Once the hobby starts eating into time and efforts more wisely placed elsewhere with our goals in life, it's time for them to go. (I'm not there yet, but one day I will have to face that decision).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mach1 Driver is right. Chronic pain stops you dead in your tracks and possibly the most depressing thing one can experience. I wish I had looked a little harder years ago for potential fixes for my numeros & very painful issues. I was blind as a bat and hurt so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I was done with a lot of things. A couple years ago I found a really good Opthamologist and now only use glasses when reading small print. My back hurt so bad I walked all bent over and couldn't do much of anything. I visited several orthopedic surgeons and found one that I instantly knew was THE guy. He told me that with the immense amount of pain over the past many years, the fix was relatively simple. I guess I was kind of lucky. He did lower back surgery about 6 weeks ago and the next day I was up walking with very little pain. I am now up and around doing things I could not do 15 years ago. Pain almost totally gone. My next venture is my knee. When I find the right doctor knee surgery may be in my future. My other major pain center is an ankle I broke 45 years ago in a bad motorcycle accident. It hurts with every step I take. Surgery is not an option due to a very poor success rate on ankles. I will just have to put up with it until the process greatly improves. For 10+ years I have been taking a low dose pain pill in the AM and occasionally one in the PM with no fear whatsoever of becoming "Addicted". If anyone is fearful of low dose pain meds, please have a conversation with your doctor about them and other options to help with your chronic pain.

About a year ago I came to realize that if there was any possibility of improving the specific things getting in the way of my life, that would become my new project. I am along way to go but am better than I was. I hope my knee surgery goes half as good as my back appears to be and then I will start on my ankle. Hope is what keeps all of us going and I encourage everyone getting up in years, DO NOT GIVE IN & DO NOT GIVE UP! Most of us have worked hard, asked for little and deserve the rewarding years we worked so hard to enjoy.

Sorry about the rambling & I hope the best for all.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I too know what it's like to work in pain. When I was 35 I fell off a roof, compound fracture of the RT ankle. They screwed it back together but I was always in pain. By the age of 40 I was walking with a cane. After ten years of Vikodin and Oxicodone I had the ankle fused. That stopped all the pain but unbeknownst to me that shortened the leg a 1/2". After 20 years of walking crooked I have knee, hip and back pain. I work on the car on the weekends. Come Monday I can't hardly move. I of the same mind as Dub, don't give in. I'm determined to finish this restoration, then I'm going to drive the wheels off of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too know what it's like to work in pain. When I was 35 I fell off a roof, compound fracture of the RT ankle. They screwed it back together but I was always in pain. By the age of 40 I was walking with a cane. After ten years of Vikodin and Oxicodone I had the ankle fused. That stopped all the pain but unbeknownst to me that shortened the leg a 1/2". After 20 years of walking crooked I have knee, hip and back pain. I work on the car on the weekends. Come Monday I can't hardly move. I of the same mind as Dub, don't give in. I'm determined to finish this restoration, then I'm going to drive the wheels off of it.
Hell Yes!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am 72 and sometimes have close to the same feelings. I've had my '70 Mach1 for about 27 years now. I've done a lot of the work myself. I'll be honest wrenching on my car just is not as easy and as much fun that it used to be.
A lot of the passion of how I used to feel about my car has been lost. I some time feel that it is time to sell to a person that has the same fever that I once had. Must of these feelings end when I get in fire it up for a drive or attend a car show. What to do , what to do!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts