Vintage Mustang Forums banner

After 40+ years in this hobby...thinking of packing it in and selling everything

9K views 57 replies 47 participants last post by  Machin 
#1 ·
im Just tired of it all. Same old crappy tune ups and trouble shooting the same thing. Cant get quality parts. Hard to do my own work anymore with a bad back and knees plus I cant see.
very frustrating trying to work putting my glasses on and off only to step or roll over on them by the time im done.

If i pay for work its a crap shoot. Very few places know what they're doing with these old things.

5 years ago when i had the car painted I bought all new chrome and most of it is already tarnished and pitted. God forbid if the car was outside what it would look like. quality of repop parts pisses me off.

I think its time to move on with my life. just dont know what this crap is worth. Maybe just sell it all and buy a new Shelby. it will blow the doors off both of these things put together and handle too with no squeaks and rattles either lol

id imagine both cars would move pretty fast. after all these decades Im at the crossroads for sure and im not sure what to do

Reactions: RTM and hsvtoolfool
#2 ·
im Just tired of it all. Same old crappy tune ups and trouble shooting the same thing. Cant get quality parts. Hard to do my own work anymore with a bad back and knees plus I cant see.
very frustrating trying to work putting my glasses on and off only to step or roll over on them by the time im done.

If i pay for work its a crap shoot. Very few places know what they're doing with these old things.

5 years ago when i had the car painted I bought all new chrome and most of it is already tarnished and pitted. God forbid if the car was outside what it would look like. quality of repop parts pisses me off.

I think its time to move on with my life. just dont know what this crap is worth. Maybe just sell it all and buy a new Shelby. it will blow the doors off both of these things put together and handle too with no squeaks and rattles either lol

id imagine both cars would move pretty fast. after all these decades Im at the crossroads for sure and im not sure what to do
Although I get frustrated sometimes with our car, I always take a break and get back to it with enthusiasm. Personally, if you just started to feel this way, I'd store them (or leave them alone) for a month. If you still feel the same then for sure, sell them. Sounds like you still want to be into cars (you mentioned a Shelby) so you want to stay in the hobby. Just my .02

#3 ·
I get it. Heck, I'm only in my 30s and still sometimes asking myself if it's worth it messing with an old car, especially when there's no one in my social circle who shares the interest. I'm always working solo.

In my opinion, if your heart's not in it, do as you're thinking and move on. You won't feel obligated to spend your time doing something that you don't have a passion for and you'll probably find yourself happier and with lower stress. Not to mention that the cars will get passed on to someone who will enjoy them and take care of them. My dad is one of those guys that can't bring himself to sell anything - even if he's not enjoying it, he can't bring himself to sell it to someone who will. He's ended up with a 2000 sq ft garage full of junk that's rotting away. He's not enjoying it, and he's not letting anyone else enjoy it either. To me, that's one of the saddest things there is. If the cars aren't bringing you any joy anymore, relieve yourself of the burden and pass them on to someone who will. Both you and the buyer will be happier.

#4 ·
My wife had me try a craft beer with my burger the other night. It tasted like crap, and I told her so. she said it's a little like drinking wine, and you have to acquire the taste. I said why in the he77 would I continue to drink something I don't like in the hopes that it'll get better?!? I'm sticking with my Busch Light and calling it good. Connecting the dots- if you don't like it, punt and move on, but if there's a chance you might acquire a taste, then keep working with them. Only you can decide what you want; do like Rebel said and walk away for a while..... maybe enjoy a Busch Light?

#30 · (Edited)
Busch Light? That has about the same consistency as water. For me... Corona Premier, Blue Moon or Shock Top for a lighter beer. A stout like Guinness for something a little on the heavier side. In terms of the subject at hand that others have mentioned... things like electronic ignition, EFI and so on will definitely help it feel less outdated. That and getting better, more comfortable seats, shocks, springs and other suspension items. I see what you mean though, there are days where I wonder about selling my cars but then I never do because I still love them.

#6 ·
Ive packed it in twice. Sold thousands of dollars of parts for peanuts, gave away as much as I sold. Sold cars for far less than they are worth. Spent thousands storing cars that werent worth storing, kept the garage crammed full, parked new cars in the driveway because my classic had a leaking cowl and needed the garage, spent thousands of hours on the net, drove thousands of miles to junkyards, spent God only knows how much on tools I used once, maybe twice, dragged my wife along through all of it.

I told her I wanted to sell the 65, she said I was nuts and the car was staying.

#17 ·
Sold thousands of dollars of parts for peanuts, gave away as much as I sold. Sold cars for far less than they are worth. Spent thousands storing cars that werent worth storing, kept the garage crammed full, parked new cars in the driveway because my classic had a leaking cowl and needed the garage, spent thousands of hours on the net, drove thousands of miles to junkyards, spent God only knows how much on tools I used once, maybe twice, dragged my wife along through all of it.
LOL. Been there, done that. That’s why it’s a hobby, not a career! I’d be homeless if it was.

#7 ·

One of these will fit the bill[emoji16] 2020 R’s are only $80k

Mark

Reactions: rpm and Blues Power
#15 ·
ahhh thats the ticket. wouldnt have to do anything for a good 15 years..
dump the 2 i have kick in $30K and im done

but insurance would be a killer i guess for a weekend car

#8 ·
Oh yeah, I can relate. Consider if you get your Mach 1 dialed in nicely with an electronic ignition, maintenance will be pretty minimal; mostly oil and filter changes. Surely you can find someone local to do those things for you if need be.

It's a matter of what your passion is. My Mustang club has slowly evolved into mostly newer Mustangs for all the reasons you mentioned. You go to the dealer and get a worry-free car you can drive cross country with more power and better handling than the classic. For most people, it's win-win.

Then again, my club went on a long haul cruise last summer and stopped in a small town for coffee. All the cars were lined up on the main street. There was a Saline, a new Bullitt GT and even a new Shelby. We drew a crowd and every person walked right past all those new cars, stopped in front of my 1970 Mach 1 and said, "Who owns this car!". I feel the same way. And that's why I fight the good fight. To each his or her own.

#14 ·
Oh yeah, I can relate. Consider if you get your Mach 1 dialed in nicely with an electronic ignition, maintenance will be pretty minimal; mostly oil and filter changes. Surely you can find someone local to do those things for you if need be.

It's a matter of what your passion is. My Mustang club has slowly evolved into mostly newer Mustangs for all the reasons you mentioned. You go to the dealer and get a worry-free car you can drive cross country with more power and better handling than the classic. For most people, it's win-win.

Then again, my club went on a long haul cruise last summer and stopped in a small town for coffee. All the cars were lined up on the main street. There was a Saline, a new Bullitt GT and even a new Shelby. We drew a crowd and every person walked right past all those new cars, stopped in front of my 1970 Mach 1 and said, "Who owns this car!". I feel the same way. And that's why I fight the good fight. To each his or her own.
Priceless!

#9 ·
yeah but im out of fight. tired of it. everything i did to the car besides the paint and exhaust is 30 yrs old now. if the heater core goes im not doing it again.

#36 · (Edited)
yeah but im out of fight. tired of it. everything i did to the car besides the paint and exhaust is 30 yrs old now. if the heater core goes im not doing it again.
Good luck on your sales! I'm sure you have had good times with the cars and it sounds like its time to move no to something else/new.

ahhh thats the ticket. wouldnt have to do anything for a good 15 years..
dump the 2 i have kick in $30K and im done

but insurance would be a killer i guess for a weekend car
Consider a low mileage 2010 Shelby GT500 for example; plenty of HP when the rubber hits the road. Half the price of that 2020...

#10 ·
Weve had several newer Mustangs. My wife drove a 14 V6 premium and loved it until she got a 17 EB premium and loved it even more. Now shes on a hybrid kick so we have an Accord. My neighbor bought a 05 GT premium vert new and loves it. Drives it 4-5k a year when the weather is nice, changes the oil once a year, air filter every 2 years.

Thats not a bad way to go.

#11 ·
It’s hard to get excited about anything when you’re body lets you down. I get it.

#13 ·
I can’t imagine participating in the hobby if your heart isn’t in it.

I’m about 30 years in and have never been deeper in it. My car is currently down in a minor way (electric fan wiring) and my daughters project 66 needs everything over the next 2 years. Needless to say, my heart is very much still in it.

Into the fray!

#16 ·
I have packed it in on a few vehicles I have owned in the past and very much regretted later. It can happen or you might take the money and never look back once you have sold everything. That can happen too. Keeping old vehicles running does sometimes get tiresome and I can totally relate to the parts problem and lack of quality chrome.

Reactions: Blues Power
#19 ·
If your biggest frustration is your vision. That's an easy fix IF you haven't had your cataracts out yet. Multifocal IOLs will give you excellent distance and near vision and the new trifocal IOL gives you distance, near, and intermediate vision. Well worth the money. Other than that, its reading glasses and they suck. No way around that.

#20 ·
I'm guessing you had a bad day working on something and your venting. I get it, if I get 5% of what I think I planned to get done it was a good day. I can no longer plan what I'm going to each day. Now I just go until I breakdown. Usually about two-hours of easy work and I'm broken. I'm in too much pain to continue. The pain sucks the life out of me. Meds don't work, the best thing is to try and sleep to escape from the pain. Even when I'm working on cars in my dreams I'm in pain in my dreams. My whole life revolves around working on projects, which is why my body is shot at only 58 year's old. Between work and home I literally wore it out, used of the cartilage and vertebrate discs. If this was a 1000 year's ago natural selection would have had a wild animal kill me before I had gotten into this bad of shape. The worse part is knowing its going get worse with time.

I cannot keep up anymore with what I have spent my entire life accumulating. I won't pay anybody, not because I'm cheap but because I want to do it myself. I don't want a car somebody else built for me. Why would I want a car somebody else built?

I had another interest, I "had" a vision of retiring and fishing off the rocks at the SoCal beaches and then they went and turned it all into a marine preserve. The places I fished as a kid. There went that dream. I don't know what's worse, getting old or living in CA?

I can't bend-over because it hurts too bad. I can't see unless I take a picture of something and enlarge it. My brain wants go work on stuff and my body just flips me off and refuses to cooperate. I'm only 58. two back surgeries, three shoulder surgeries and a failed cornea transplant. Now I'm living on pain pills and they only get rid of 20% of the pain.

I use to maintain 100% of everything, on 157 phone company vehicles by myself. All the repairs, services, Bit inspections, aerial boom inspections, tires, smog inspection, all of it done in-house by me. Now I don't feel like working on just one of my 15 Ford projects. I spent the morning at the neurologist for back and leg pain. I either sell all this crap that took my whole life to acquire. I should sell the cars but then its all over. Everything I worked for so I could retire and restore cars. I brake lathes, hydraulic press ignition scope. hoist , rotisseries, distributor machine, gas, mig and tig welders. A paint booth. A 2500 sf garage. I have more equipment than 90% of the auto repair shops and probably ten-times the knowledge. I let my smog license expire, I let my 17 ASE certifications expire. I let my Class A truck driver's license with a hazmat endorsement expire. I use to help write the CA State Smog License questions for licensing technicians. I let that go. I can't do any of that stuff for a living anymore but I did not expect to get to the point I didn't want to work on my own stuff anymore. The pain has just worn me down. I just don't get up out of a chair, I have to think about a minute because its gonna hurt big-time.

If any you guy's are young and you think you want to be a mechanic for a living you better think twice. Go get a Mechanical Engineering degree. Be the guy that designs the cars not the poor guy that works on them. All of the Verizon mechanics are breaking down in their 50s. Three-quarters of them have had shoulder surgeries or shoulder replacements. Then there is that exposure to chemicals. I'm having some neurological issues. I just have to wonder about all those gasoline baths I've taken, year's of absorbing carb cleaner and antifreeze did not damage my nervous system. Not to mention the asbestos I use to blow it out of my nose from doing clutch and brake jobs. I keep waiting for one of those asbestos seeds to spout.

Cars are a terrible hobby and an even worse career choice. But the brain wants what the brain wants. For some people its cigarettes, alcohol and heroin and for others its Mustang fastbacks, 4-speeds, shaker hoods. As hard as it is for me to drag my butt out to work on my projects I'm no going to let this old body stop the 18 year-old kid that lives in my head!

#49 ·
I'm guessing you had a bad day working on something and your venting. I get it, if I get 5% of what I think I planned to get done it was a good day. I can no longer plan what I'm going to each day. Now I just go until I breakdown. Usually about two-hours of easy work and I'm broken. I'm in too much pain to continue. The pain sucks the life out of me. Meds don't work, the best thing is to try and sleep to escape from the pain. Even when I'm working on cars in my dreams I'm in pain in my dreams. My whole life revolves around working on projects, which is why my body is shot at only 58 year's old. Between work and home I literally wore it out, used of the cartilage and vertebrate discs. If this was a 1000 year's ago natural selection would have had a wild animal kill me before I had gotten into this bad of shape. The worse part is knowing its going get worse with time.

I cannot keep up anymore with what I have spent my entire life accumulating. I won't pay anybody, not because I'm cheap but because I want to do it myself. I don't want a car somebody else built for me. Why would I want a car somebody else built?

I had another interest, I "had" a vision of retiring and fishing off the rocks at the SoCal beaches and then they went and turned it all into a marine preserve. The places I fished as a kid. There went that dream. I don't know what's worse, getting old or living in CA?

I can't bend-over because it hurts too bad. I can't see unless I take a picture of something and enlarge it. My brain wants go work on stuff and my body just flips me off and refuses to cooperate. I'm only 58. two back surgeries, three shoulder surgeries and a failed cornea transplant. Now I'm living on pain pills and they only get rid of 20% of the pain.

I use to maintain 100% of everything, on 157 phone company vehicles by myself. All the repairs, services, Bit inspections, aerial boom inspections, tires, smog inspection, all of it done in-house by me. Now I don't feel like working on just one of my 15 Ford projects. I spent the morning at the neurologist for back and leg pain. I either sell all this crap that took my whole life to acquire. I should sell the cars but then its all over. Everything I worked for so I could retire and restore cars. I brake lathes, hydraulic press ignition scope. hoist , rotisseries, distributor machine, gas, mig and tig welders. A paint booth. A 2500 sf garage. I have more equipment than 90% of the auto repair shops and probably ten-times the knowledge. I let my smog license expire, I let my 17 ASE certifications expire. I let my Class A truck driver's license with a hazmat endorsement expire. I use to help write the CA State Smog License questions for licensing technicians. I let that go. I can't do any of that stuff for a living anymore but I did not expect to get to the point I didn't want to work on my own stuff anymore. The pain has just worn me down. I just don't get up out of a chair, I have to think about a minute because its gonna hurt big-time.

If any you guy's are young and you think you want to be a mechanic for a living you better think twice. Go get a Mechanical Engineering degree. Be the guy that designs the cars not the poor guy that works on them. All of the Verizon mechanics are breaking down in their 50s. Three-quarters of them have had shoulder surgeries or shoulder replacements. Then there is that exposure to chemicals. I'm having some neurological issues. I just have to wonder about all those gasoline baths I've taken, year's of absorbing carb cleaner and antifreeze did not damage my nervous system. Not to mention the asbestos I use to blow it out of my nose from doing clutch and brake jobs. I keep waiting for one of those asbestos seeds to spout.

Cars are a terrible hobby and an even worse career choice. But the brain wants what the brain wants. For some people its cigarettes, alcohol and heroin and for others its Mustang fastbacks, 4-speeds, shaker hoods. As hard as it is for me to drag my butt out to work on my projects I'm no going to let this old body stop the 18 year-old kid that lives in my head!

View attachment 745484
That was real sad Vintage Ford Guy ☹ Wish you the best with your fight for your health. But you’re right on many career aspects.... being an auto mechanic was not the career for me. I got out of the business 20 years ago and I’m in my 40s now + still feel like a kid. Everything is going electronic. Soon even the cars themselves.

#22 ·
I've got a head start for you.... my Dad has been collecting Lionel trains for over 50 years- boxes and boxes of 'em… and still new in the box never set up. He's ready to unload them as he's lost interest at his age. Wait- that sound eerily familiar.... what were we talking about again?...

#23 ·
@Blues Power , I have loved Mustangs since I knew what a car was, wanted one just as long, have had one since I was 16, have had as many as four at a time, back to one and now three... I've had a crash in my pride and joy, fixed it right at great expense, shared it with my wife and kids and made friends out of strangers, and it has been ever present at life's best and worst moments.... along the way I've gotten frustrated with projects, mad at reckless drivers, pissed off at insurance companies, disappointed with reproduction parts, and I wouldn't DARE let somebody else work on mine... I have worn glasses since 15, had some joints destroyed and rebuilt, and I'm not as young as I used to be... BUT I have two sons that have the Mustang bug, for which there is no cure, looking at me for guidance and for something we can do together, hopefully for the rest of our lives. If I get in bad enough shape that I can't crawl under one of these cars, surely I can share my knowledge with them. If I get too old for manual steering and brakes, maybe we have two new projects. Maybe you can trust your VMF friends to help with projects, and perhaps point you to good people who can help if they can't. Maybe you can be an MCA Judge...I hope I can throw the football, go for rides, and turn a wrench a while longer. I love the ooooos and aaaaaahhhs from the kids, and the "I remember..."s from the guys and girls like me. Not as young as I used to be, but still young enough to love these cars and the people that love them. I appreciate your experience and hope you contribute for many years to come. Maybe I'll have a 1970 one day...

Reactions: a793aa
#24 ·
I know what you're talking about. Decaying vision has put a damper in many of my hobbies. I'm going to unload my telescope because it is more frustrating than fun.

Throughout my several years, I've never regretted selling a modern car. The only ones I wished I hadn't sold were the '66 mustangs. I had a good reason at the time, but in hindsight, I wished that I would have kept them.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
#26 ·
... It does everything better than my 70 Mach 1...
I bet it doesn't turn heads at a stoplight like a 70 Mach 1, or sound like a 70 Mach 1, or smell like a 70 Mach 1, or feel like a 70 Mach 1 or....

#27 ·
I get all your points and maybe after such a long time it is time for something else. However, I heard from many people they regret selling it. On the other side maybe many people are still happy with their decision, we just don't hear from them anymore in the forum.
Let's make an experiment, close the garage and don't touch anything for 6 months. If you don't have the feeling something is missing in your life sell it. If the excitement comes back, maybe you can find a way to get some help working on the car. Many young guys with little experience are willing to work with you on the car. You will get your stuff done as you want and they learn first hand from you.

Good luck :)

#28 ·
Have to agree with about all that has been posted. If you have room to store and don't need the money, keep it while you think it over as it may be a spur of the moment you might regret. I felt this way about Model A Fords and sold four decades of part's accumulation but kept two A's just in case. My '70 Mach 1 is fun but like many, needs some things done. I used to complain about the new cars showing up at cruises. Now I'm guilty with a '19 Mustang GT, but fills a gap previously mentioned. BTW, I was shocked when my insurance company for all my old cars, Hagerty, insured the GT for half of my regular insurer. So for many, most of us need a reason to wake up in the morning. If I emptied the garage and didn't have another hobby, though I do, I may not want to wake up...............

#29 ·
I just turned 62 this past December, I have a bad back, bad knees, & I am starting to develop arthritis in my hands & feet, when I get frustrated I walk away for a few hours or days or weeks sometimes. I enjoy working on the Mustang although I can not work on it as many hours of the day as I used to when I was younger. My wife & I have moved 4 times since acquiring the Mustang & I would like one day to drive it since I acquired it as a rolling chassis back in 2001 & have been going strong working on it since 2010. Working on the Mustang & woodworking are my only hobby's that keep me out of trouble.

#31 ·
im Just tired of it all.
Take a step back and make sure you're not suffering depression. Your arguments are rational, but this isn't a rational hobby. Depression is hard to self-diagnose. Losing interest in stuff you used to love is a BIG signal. If you suspect you are experiencing depression, then get some counciling.

Otherwise, I agree with your assesment of the State of The Hobby. Take a break for a few years and just go to car shows. After you throw out "The Restoration Rules", there's a whole new hobby inside the larger hobby. That's why I love resto-mods, rat-rods, and hand crafting custom parts rather than buying crap from China. Just making a powder coat oven or experimenting with vacuum bag carbon fiber parts is so much fun!

To paraphrase Led Zepplin's Black Dog....a perfect car's got no soul.

#32 ·
AS hsvtoolfool said: Make an appointment with your Doctor for a good physical and tell the Doc you are feeling a little depressed. It does not mean you are crazy or weak. As we age things change. The Doc will give you a short test and if you are "blue" they will probably prescribe you something to help. Hell, half the country is on Prozac! If that is the case it will tack a couple of weeks and you will feel MUCH better.

Of course that won't make the re-pop parts any better but does change your outlook. Think of it as a supplement for your brain. Might also uncover a physical issue or vitamin issue that can be fixed. They might even send you in for some PT. It's much better then selling all your stuff and finding you are no better off. Just a thought! Hang in there.

As someone told me: where ever you go or whatever you do you take you with you.

Mel

#33 ·

Been there, done that. Don't rush into selling everything. Read all the other comments. I'm 65, survived (mostly) prostate cancer, have Parkinson's, my wife died, just bought a 69 Mach 1 with 390 that has 58K miles and has sat since mid 80's AND a fixer-upper house. At times I think "What the F*** was I thinking?" I sold my FIRST car 68 390 GT in about 2003, stupidest thing I've EVER done.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Take your time, make sure it's not depression/chemical. Or sell one car AND buy the Shelby....

Depending where you are, maybe we can help with a shop recommendation.

And get bifocals, mine made a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.