Maybe "jumped the tracks" instead?

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Or "jumped ship"?

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Not sure the idiom “jumped the shark” means what you think it does...
I know exactly what it means. It means when ratings on your show are declining and you do something uncharacteristic or drastic to fix it. In it's namesake example it was unsuccessful. But actually other shows have "jumped the shark" and enjoyed some success afterward, even though it's named after a failure.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I knew what jumping the shark was long before Google was around. I actually saw a show that included a list of the top ten shark jumps when I was a teenager. I think it was on VH1.

Nice ASSumptions though. I guess I must come off as an ignorant rube or something.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I know exactly what it means. It means when ratings on your show are declining and you do something uncharacteristic or drastic to fix it. In it's namesake example it was unsuccessful. But actually other shows have "jumped the shark" and enjoyed some success afterward, even though it's named after a failure.
Jumping the shark means you‘re decending to mediocrity or self parody. I don’t know where you’re getting your definition but there is nothing good about jumping the shark.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
What I was attempting to convey is exactly how I described it. She did something abstract, out of character and risky. Perhaps even ill-advised. That it worked out better for her than it did for Fonzi is not really relevant to the decision itself prior to the outcome. Accept that I know what it means. Or don't. I'm done discussing it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I take a 6-8% cut in pay cut every year. I typically get a 1-2% raise per year. Cost of living generally increases the opposite of that plus, plus, plus. Yet, I’m still happily employed. Case in point; I got a 2% raise this year. Cost of insurance rose 10%. I looked my boss in the eyes and thanked him. Still receiving pay checks...
I wanna know what this 'raise' thing is you speak of. Haven't seen one of those in over 8 years.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I wanna know what this 'raise' thing is you speak of. Haven't seen one of those in over 8 years.
Six years for me. The average for our department is 1%. I've been told that I make the most in our department (and that the lower-paid employees get a bigger raise to even up the salaries) - In May, I'll have been there for 13 years.

Unfortunately, these aren't the best times to be looking for jobs.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
To bring this thread back to the beginning when I was complaining about being cut down to 4 days a week and filed for unemployment for the missing day. I was denied because of "excessive earnings". They would approved me if only there was a line on the many online forms that I had to fill out that said, check here if you have an old Mustang you want to race, but sadly there wasn't.

Stay healthy!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts