Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the old, tired, nasty, worn out, 351W out 7 months ago, for a little refresh.

My engine bay was in bad shape, and needed a lot of cleaning up.

So the "refresh" consists of a 408, with my TW heads, which I had a lot of work done to while they were off. It's topped off with a ported Victor Jr, and a Pro-Systems carburetor. I went with a custom billet, hydraulic cam from Bullet. The fuel system has been completely rebuilt to compensate, a hydraulic T/O bearing replaced the Z bar, and there are a lot of supporting mods, such as a Strange chromoly driveshaft, and yokes, driveshaft loop, ect.....

I got it between the shock towers on Sunday, but there is still a lot of work to do. The starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and MSD box have all been moved, so the wiring needs to be completed, but hopefully I'll have it fired by the end of the weekend.

Sorry for the poor cell phone pictures.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
A 351W refresh to a smokin' 408W, I like your style. I'm glad you went and fortified the drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Hey, looks great. Love the fabricated valve covers. Good luck with your first start up.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
very nice. the valve covers look cool!

did you take any pictures of the internals while you had the shortblock torn down checking the specs?

it seems like everyone of those shortblocks have that big blue gasket sticking out from the timing cover. is that a particular brand or are they all like that?

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, looks great. Love the fabricated valve covers. Good luck with your first start up.
Thanks. I'm not big on advertising for other people, so I go for the clean look :). Looks like the start up has been delayed again. The hydraulic lines from the slave cylinder, to the master cylinder on the T/O bearing are about 8" too short. I'm waiting on McLeod to call me back, but they haven't done it yet. There's still a lot to do.

very nice. the valve covers look cool!

did you take any pictures of the internals while you had the shortblock torn down checking the specs?

it seems like everyone of those shortblocks have that big blue gasket sticking out from the timing cover. is that a particular brand or are they all like that?
Man, I'm terrible about taking pictures during a project like this. I get so caught up in it, I don't slow down long enough. The shortblock came from fordstrokers.com. We did actually tear into it a little to take some measurements and compare them to the build sheet, and they were spot on. I did not take any pictures though.

The blue gasket, is just the plain felpro timing cover gasket. That's just the way they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts