Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a block has been tanked fluxed and the works, how long till it starts developing surface rust?

The block of course is in my garage, off of the floor on a crate(im buying a stand within a week or so's time)

the garage doesnt get wet obviously, but if its not painted it will develope rust correct?

I had my heads tanked etc, which are sitting nicely in my room ;D and they are doing fine(has been about 4-5 months ago)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
within days for micrscopic particles to begin forming. Spray it with a light coat of oil.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The as-cast surfaces won't be a problem, but the machined surfaces will rust pretty quickly. If you are having a complete block prep, it won't matter, but the big thing to be aware of is lifter bores. They rust, and you HAVE to clean them
until they're shiny prior to engine assembly. Machine shops often don't do this as part of a standard block prep. Don't want rust inside those shiny new lifters, now do we ??

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You posted some time back about your floor pans. How did that turn out?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still havent gotten around to it, I have the pans sittin in the garage waiting to be welded in. Turned out to be a Bizitch to find someone to help me complete this task, so again its being put off /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts