Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.
I'm thinking about purchasing a Brand New carburetor for my stock 1968 302 4V J-Code. The Autolite 4100 600CFM I currently have seams to be at the end of the road even after a complete rebuild. A buddy said he had good success with Edelbrocks. Can anyone recommend a specific model that would be a good match for my car. It's a stock 68' J-code with C4. It has PS and manual brakes. No A/C.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
203 Posts
Hello Everyone.
I'm thinking about purchasing a Brand New carburetor for my stock 1968 302 4V J-Code. The Autolite 4100 600CFM I currently have seams to be at the end of the road even after a complete rebuild. A buddy said he had good success with Edelbrocks. Can anyone recommend a specific model that would be a good match for my car. It's a stock 68' J-code with C4. It has PS and manual brakes. No A/C.
Some people like the Edelbrock, however to tune you need to springs and rods. I guess i'm old school. I like Holleys, easy to tune, the older ones are better then the newer ones.

·
Registered
65 mustang coupe 302 HO, Holley 600 carb, T-5, 8 inch rear
23 Posts
I agree, go with Holley. I had an older one on mine and replaced it a year ago with the same but newer Holley and I love it. All the old school guys I know prefer Holley

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Edelbrock for beginners, Summit's OE lookalike for simple cruising and fewer failure points, both practically plug and play. Holley/QF for advanced studies and ultimate tune-able complexity.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I'm running the Summit carb on my 351 Cleveland:
  • It's a re-branded Holley, so it uses Holley components
  • It's basically an Autolite 4100 with a few upgrades
  • It has a sight glass in both fuel bowls.
  • Adjusting the floats is as simple as turning one of two screws on top of the carb
  • "Engine Masters" recently did a low-buck carb test and the Summit carb really kicked-ass!
  • Order a jet kit and some vacuum secondary springs with the carb. One problem they had on Engine Masters was the secondary not opening all the way
And finally...

- It's cheap!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd go with a Holley 570 Street Avenger on yours. It's not too expensive, the one I had came ready to go right out of the box and it has a lifetime warranty on it. Hard to beat in my opinion.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I've run both Edelbrock and Summit carbs. Both are great and neither one do you have to drain fuel to make jetting changes. The Summit uses superior annular boosters just like the Ford 4100 which are far more responsive and atomize the fuel better. This is exactly what made the 4100 so revered.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Lenny, I would go for the Summit carb. It is the most like what you have. What exactly seems to be the problem ? The 4100 is VERY well thought of,.....maybe your carb rebuilder messed something up,......LSG

·
Registered
934 Posts
If I'm wrong then please correct me. I heard that Holley didn't want to make carburetors anymore and concentrate their efforts on the EFI. Summit bought the patent from Holley and and is now making their version of the Holley carb. I have one one and am pleased.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Yes Holley had the rights. Since it was a pretty close copy of the Autolite 4100 I'm going to guess Holley bought the rights from Ford. However when Holley put them out, they just weren't popular. Probably because they didn't look like a regular Holley a d looked upon as a entry level low priced carburator that didn't look racy. Don't forget any company isn't going to buy the rights to a competitor and promote it as a better product wether it is or not.

Carburators are still a big market but Holley is in the induction business so they are going to cover all grounds. The carb they sold to Summit wasn't a good fit for them.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Yes Holley had the rights. Since it was a pretty close copy of the Autolite 4100 I'm going to guess Holley bought the rights from Ford. However when Holley put them out, they just weren't popular. Probably because they didn't look like a regular Holley a d looked upon as a entry level low priced carburator that didn't look racy. Don't forget any company isn't going to buy the rights to a competitor and promote it as a better product wether it is or not.

Carburators are still a big market but Holley is in the induction business so they are going to cover all grounds. The carb they sold to Summit wasn't a good fit for them.
I doubt that Ford had any rights on the 4100 to sell to Holley. Probably water long under the bridge. Autolite was bought by Allied Signal/Fram quite some time ago, etc etc.
I think Summit acquired the rights to the Holley styled “Autolite” by attrition/poor sales/warranty due to leaks, etc. Summit fixed the problems and took their revamped product to market.
That’s basically what happened.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I did a little research and read some head to head tests. Carbs are largely a Ford vs Chevy debate. Some like one some like another...and they all work. Any HP differences are within the margin of error and dependent on the ability to tune.

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
I doubt that Ford had any rights on the 4100 to sell to Holley. Probably water long under the bridge. Autolite was bought by Allied Signal/Fram quite some time ago, etc etc.
I think Summit acquired the rights to the Holley styled “Autolite” by attrition/poor sales/warranty due to leaks, etc. Summit fixed the problems and took their revamped product to market.
That’s basically what happened.
When Autolite was purchased by Allied Signal there carburetors had long before left to become Motorcraft units. The Summit carb is, for all intents and purposes, a repop of the Holley 4010. As far as to the lack of success of the 4010, here is a snippet of its history by a former Holley employee:

The 4010 was released in 1986 as a response to the perceived threat from the re-released Carter AFB. The idea was that we'd have a polished aluminum finish and no gaskets below the fuel level - just like the Carter. The carbs were always intended as street use only - not for competition, and only a couple of boat engine manufacturers tried them - notably Volvo Penta.

They were not bad carbs, but there was never a real reason to buy one either. They were limited in power output (small metering passages), still had the power valves that everybody hated (for all the wrong reasons), and actually cost more to make and thus sell.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
203 Posts
I'd go with a Holley 570 Street Avenger on yours. It's not too expensive, the one I had came ready to go right out of the box and it has a lifetime warranty on it. Hard to beat in my opinion.
Holley 570 will NOT be big enough for that engine, its not a 289!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Holley 570 will NOT be big enough for that engine, its not a 289!
A 302 essentially is a 289. Besides, he's currently got a 600 cfm carburetor on there, dropping down to a 570 cfm isn't going to make much of a difference, if at all. Especially if his 302 is stock or a mild build. Guys over-carb a motor all the time, not a good idea, especially for a street car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts