Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am looking to install an after market radio to my 66 and I need help identifying the wire color for hooking up the switch power and the constant power. the car had already the radio removed and what I am left off with is two wires.one red and the other yellow but nothing else.

Thank you

·
Registered
1965 Mustang coupe, 289 V8
1 Posts
Hey there!

Yellow is normally the antenna, red should be the main (switched) power. I had the same issue when installing an aftermarket radio since there was no memory function in my old radio, there was only one (switched) power cable available when I removed the old radio. You will probably need to run a new line for the constant power, directly from the fuse box or from another constant source like the cigarette lighter.

Took me a full day to get my new radio working, I was greatly helped bu this handy guide: Replacing the radio in your 65 or 66 mustang - a guide, as I was by the manual that I found on the manufacturer's website. You probably don't have the same radio as I do but just in case it could help: https://customautosoundmfg.com/uploads/UG_radio-230.pdf

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Radio power (switched ignition) is YEL/BLK.

Radio illumination (lighting) is BLU/RED.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radio power (switched ignition) is YEL/BLK.

Radio illumination (lighting) is BLU/RED.
Do these wire color codes that you provided reference what I should be looking for in my car under the dash or the new radio that I will be purchasing ?
In addition, I am assuming that I never had a constant power wire so I would need to use the lighter

·
Registered
308 Posts
A 12v test probe with a indicator light is a necessary tool. I wouldn't do any wiring without one.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Do these wire color codes that you provided reference what I should be looking for in my car under the dash or the new radio that I will be purchasing ?
In addition, I am assuming that I never had a constant power wire so I would need to use the lighter
Those are the original colors in the under-dash harness. If you need constant power for radio memory, etc., you can use the lighter or you can add a "fuse tap" to either the cig ltr or dome lamp fuse in the box, available at NAPA.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are the original colors in the under-dash harness. If you need constant power for radio memory, etc., you can use the lighter or you can add a "fuse tap" to either the cig ltr or dome lamp fuse in the box, available at NAPA.

Would a lighter wire feed work in this case ?
Is that what you mean by fuse tap. Sorry not very familiar with electrical terminology but that is what I found online. Will this work for my application of course assuming the lighter wiring is hot and working because I never tested it

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 12v test probe with a indicator light is a necessary tool. I wouldn't do any wiring without one.
I just got a probe and tested random wire for constant wire and came across this yellow wire that is connected to a green wire coming in from the hood area. The yellow wire has constant power and the end of it is free. Can I use it for my radio ? I am just concerned with the way it is connected to the green one. I just don’t want to cause fire.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On my "Retro-Sound" aftermarket radio. Red is switched power coming off the radio, and the YELLOW wire is suppose to go to full time power (NOT SWITCHED).

Maybe your yellow/green came unconnected? Assuming your radio is requesting the yellow as well to constant power.

This I think is my issue , I likely thought something was constant under the dash and it's swithced, so they are both switched.

And now since I have a full center concel in the way it's going to be VERY hard to fix it.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my "Retro-Sound" aftermarket radio. Red is switched power coming off the radio, and the YELLOW wire is suppose to go to full time power (NOT SWITCHED).

Maybe your yellow/green came unconnected? Assuming your radio is requesting the yellow as well to constant power.

This I think is my issue , I likely thought something was constant under the dash and it's swithced, so they are both switched.

And now since I have a full center concel in the way it's going to be VERY hard to fix it.
Do you see how the yellow is connected to the green from the picture I attached?
Is this the right way to connect. It had electric tape that I removed. Would it be ok for me to connect the radio constant power to the end of it since it is free ? Or will this cause fire

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know what the green wire is for, but quite obviously he thinks it's constant power.

Does anyone know if maybe that the lighter wire? Since we know that's non-switched power. I don't know the wireing well enough to know what that green is for. Do you have the manual for the radio and do you know yellow is one of the 2 powers?

·
Registered
173 Posts
looks like it's green with yellow stripe?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My yellow also has an inline fuse .......

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks like it's green with yellow stripe?
Yes it is green with yellow stripes. Correct
But it looks like someone strip it and connected a yellow wire to it as shown in pix. The yellow wire has constant power which I think would be a good source to connect my radio to but I am not sure if it is ok to do so given the way the yellow wire is connected.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't see an issue with the connection .... LOL, that's old school. I'm just trying to help you figure out what the green/yellow wire is for.

Someone must know. There are very smart people in here.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Green/yellow is power to the courtesy lights. I had similar "connections" in my harness. I pulled it out and redid it. You're asking for a fire with crappy wiring like that.

Most aftermarket radios need a constant 12 V source for the station memory. If you aren't using the cigarette lighter, than use that wire. Should be blue/white. Than they need a switched source. You can tap off the post on the back of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well that makes sense why they tapped into that one. See smart people ....

But ya, I kind of agree ..... better to run a new wire to the positive

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Green/yellow is power to the courtesy lights. I had similar "connections" in my harness. I pulled it out and redid it. You're asking for a fire with crappy wiring like that.

Most aftermarket radios need a constant 12 V source for the station memory. If you aren't using the cigarette lighter, than use that wire. Should be blue/white. Than they need a switched source. You can tap off the post on the back of the ignition switch.
Would it be ok to tap the constant power wire form the radio on the lighter stud same way like the ignition one? This way I can still use my lighter ?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't see why not. Just check and make sure the radio and cigarette lighter won't blow a fuse if both are powered. You can probably get that pigtail harness you posted, but as @Woodchuck said, just get some of those adapters for the fuses and tap off of them. Run a wire from the radio over to the fuse box and tap onto a powered fuse. Just pull the fuse and see which side if the hot side and tap onto the other side. Probably cheaper than the $18.00 for the harness.

I upgraded to the "modern" fuse box harness so I have built in switched and unswitched fused extra wires I can tap into. It is a big project, but well worth the peace of mind. Than you know its done right.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't see why not. Just check and make sure the radio and cigarette lighter won't blow a fuse if both are powered. You can probably get that pigtail harness you posted, but as @Woodchuck said, just get some of those adapters for the fuses and tap off of them. Run a wire from the radio over to the fuse box and tap onto a powered fuse. Just pull the fuse and see which side if the hot side and tap onto the other side. Probably cheaper than the $18.00 for the harness.

I upgraded to the "modern" fuse box harness so I have built in switched and unswitched fused extra wires I can tap into. It is a big project, but well worth the peace of mind. Than you know its done right.
How hard is it to run from the radio into the fuse box. I have no clue what it entails. Could you elaborate more or send me some instructions on how its done.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts