Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just installed the new Performer RPM cam in the 289 last night. Oiled the bearings first of course, got the thrust "ring" and bolts on and torqued to spec.. Question is, should we be able to turn the cam pretty freely by hand pushing on the lobes or is it suppose to be fairly tight?? I havent tried turning it with the cam gear installed on the shaft yet but we're wondering if it should sping pretty freely or if there is quite a bit of load on it from the thrust plate? TIA

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Just pushing on the lobes would be difficult. With a 3/8" drive socket, it should turn fairly easy after a few rotations.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i would say mine turned by hand fairly easily... i could kinda move it by the pin on the front but i cut up my fingers on the plate. If you can feel any play in the bearings though i would be on high alert.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I feel a little better now. It does turn, just that it didnt "spin" freely. Help me sleep better this morning when I get off work anyway!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I havent tried turning it with the cam gear installed on the shaft yet but we're wondering if it should sping pretty freely or if there is quite a bit of load on it from the thrust plate? TIA

The thrust plate doesn't do anything until you bolt the cam sprocket on; then, there should be .003-005" (maybe a bit more for OEM) clearance.

What you were feeling was the stiction (surface tension) of the lubricant being broken as you rotated the cam. Normal.

I usually pre-measure everything to determine proper thrust clearance but you can do it with a dial indicator on the cam sprocket after installation. Or, just spin the cam and attempt to move it in and out and feel for excessive tightness or clearance. If you have any questions or concerns, post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts