Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just wet sanded down a small portion of my trunk lid with 2000 paper grit to take away small imperfections in the paint...Paint is like 1 year old and now i'm wondering what to use to make that white film disapear on the surface of the clear coat left by the sanding..I've tried a soft polishing compound, but it didn't do much, so should i go with a soft rubbing compound ? and if so, what brand or kind should i go with ? thanks

G

·
Would recommend Perfect It brand compounds from PPG. The initial cut should be with a wool pad and a polishing compound followed by a foam pad water slurry. You may follow with a glaze for final finish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It depends on your polisher. Is it a PC or a rotary? I did some 2000 wetsanding on my DD and followed up with Presta 1500 on an orange pad. I then finished with a SureFinish on a black 3M finishing pad. Turned out great.
Grant

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stanger'66 said:
It depends on your polisher. Is it a PC or a rotary? I did some 2000 wetsanding on my DD and followed up with Presta 1500 on an orange pad. I then finished with a SureFinish on a black 3M finishing pad. Turned out great.
Grant
I'm using a PC polisher and using it at the fastest speed....would you mind telling me what an orange pad is....excuse my ignorance in this field, but i'm no body guy...Thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link.. :thumbup: I'll drop by my local NAPA car care store tomorrow....see what he has to say about it...$$$$$$$$ ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe Napa carries 3M products. Their polishing compounds should do the trick but I'm not sure if they will have PC pads for you. Worth a look.
Grant

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CharlesTurner said:
I made a mistake, the Perfect it is a 3M product!

BTW, looks like you got your signature pic fixed, looks good!
Not bad don't you think, i'm a fast learner... :p

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought the 3M medium cut compound and it worked like magic, thanks for the info guys.. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts