Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to have AC for the hot muggy days. I could widen my search for cars if I could include those with out factory air. Whats your opinion adding aftermarket air?? Who does it best?? Thanks. Mike

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have run a Classic Auto Air under dash unit in mine for about 6 years now, and it works well. There are other manufacturers that make good ones, as well. The unit you would want might depend on the year of your car, and whether you would install a under dash, or through vent system. If you would fill out your bio so we know what part of the country you hail from, and what year your car is, that would help to get responses to your question. Or, you can run a search and get a lot of reading. As you might suspect, this very subject has been a "hot" topic lately with the high temperatures over much of the country.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I have a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit system in my '68, and it works great. If you expand your search to include non-AC cars, then you should plan on about another $800-1000 for an aftermarket system (that would be a DIY project). Another option is to collect up original and remanufactured AC pieces and do a conversion to a non-AC car; others here can comment on the cost and stress involved in getting that together.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you are talking about 67 or later, you do not want to try to piece together a factory in-dash system. I did this once and I'll never do it again. I had a parts car with the underdash parts and I had to scrape up the engine compartment stuff. Half the original stuff was junk and had to be replaced. Food for thought - if you buy a car with factory air and it's not working when you buy it, you can easily sink $500-1000 into it making it work. And you paid a premium for a car with factory air. When I bought my 73 vert the factory A/C worked and I still ended up with almost $1000 in the A/C system (new compressor, hoses, exp valve, etc.) On the other hand, you can drive a harder bargain on a non-A/C car and you know what it'll cost to get A/C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts