Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I own a 67 Fastback (S-Code, Power steering) which had a original factory air-condition built in.
So the original a/c controls and vents (dashboard) are still in the car but someone in the past removed the hardware from the engine bay.
As the summers in Germany are getting hotter and hotter I am planing to reinstall an aftermarket A/C back into the car.
I was reading a bit about the different suppliers of new aftermarket A/Cs but I am not sure which one to choose.
I think these 3 options are availabe :

Complete Kits - Vintage Air (1967-68 Mustang w/ Factory Air Sure Fit Complete Kit)

So if anybody can give some input (really hassle-free plug and play? Easy installation? Wiring issues? Fitting in the engine bay with the power steering pump? Product Quality and support? etc...)
I would really appreciate your experiences.

Best Regards from Germany
Tim

That´s my car:

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
You may be able to get away with buying the under the hood parts that are missing but I would consider a more modern compressor and associated parts. Here's a 4th option.

Wo in Deutschland leben Sie?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be able to get away with buying the under the hood parts that are missing but I would consider a more modern compressor and associated parts. Here's a 4th option.

Wo in Deutschland leben Sie?
Thank you for the hint and link...

I am living near Mönchengladbach, a bit west, close to the Dutch border.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T830 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I live near Kaiserslautern in the Rhineland-Platz area. My 64 1/2 coupe is in Florida without any AC. I'm looking at installing an entire kit so I can comfortably drive the car during the hot summer months. I have factory power steering with the old style Eaton PS pump so I have to relocate the PS reservoir to the apron and run the hoses to the PS pump before I can install the compressor. I do like the replacement heater box in the kit, I already have a fan shroud and a thermal clutch fan so I'm ahead there.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With these hot and humid summers in Florida you are definitely better off with an A/C...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the Classic Auto Air kit installed in my '68 last year and I'm very happy with it. Only complaint I have is that the center vents only adjust left / right and not up / down. I called all 3 of those places with questions before deciding and got the best feeling from CAA. Spoke to a guy at a car show that had the Old Air Products system and he liked that the vents looked more like the originals than the CAA ones in mine, but also complained that there was really no "low" setting on his and it was more like high - higher - too high. From various things I've read I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the 3.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I installed the Classic Auto Air system in my '67 this past summer. The kit included just about everything I needed and the instructions were good. The system cools well and I made a 7 hour road trip with it about a month after installation and had no troubles.

All the components were packed well and are of good quality. The only catches I found were that I could not use my stock water pump pulley as it was too large in diameter and I had to switch to another smaller style. The system does not come with a trinary switch which would be needed if you use an electric fan (includes everything for a stock fan). The only other thing is the ducting they provide under the dash is a little cheap as it is just heat formed ABS (center vent duct and defrost duct). I had hoped to just reuse the stock components but it was not possible as it did not work well with the rest of the kit.

I'd install a pusher fan on the A/C condenser to keep it cool rather than just rely on the engine fan. The shop that charged by A/C recommended it to keep A/C head pressure down.

I post pictures of the work I do to my Mustang on a blog (mostly just for me to look at later). If you want to see the entire installation, I posted all the pictures. The posts begin in April and go for a few months afterwards as I took my time installing it....... 1967 Mustang Restoration

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the Classic Air kit in my 68 289 car last year. It also had factory air so I reused the factory vents. The kit was "easy" to install. I took my time and it took me two days over the weekend. A few minor mods were needed but for the most part it went together very nice.
Performance has been good. Blows really cold in the summer. My only real complaint is the blend sequence for the doors. The way it is designed you can't really blend the dash and floor vents at the same time. No biggie just more of a annoyance.
Overall I would recommend the kit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Vintage Air install. The first one was last year, my 72 Challenger (340, previously had factory air, electric fan), then a friend's 66 Nova (I6, no options, stock fan), and now my 66 Mustang (289, electric fan). Challenger wasn't too bad (one of the defroster hoses was nearly impossible to reach and took me a little to understand the trinary switch). Nova was a cakewalk, since it was so basic and with the I6, there was plenty of room and the binary switch is simple. Mustang has been alright (the control arms are finicky to get the electric controls onto and I had to remind myself how the trinary is wired).

I say all of that because the difficulty is going to be based somewhat on what else has been done to the car and the options. Looking at the instructions for the other kits, they appear to basically be the same, so install shouldn't be much of a factor in the decision. Like mentioned before, I'd go with a complete new kit and just reuse the factory vents.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ii also did a Classic Auto Air. Full system as my 66 did not have AC. Kit was complete. Instructions were very good. And best of all the performance was excellent. Car is now a south Florida car and it spends it's days with the top down and the AC cranking. Darn cold air too! I did the complete installation myself including vacuum and charge process. First time i couldn't keep vacuum then I found a loose fitting. All good after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx a lot to all of you for the feedback.
Now I have to do my "homework" and make a decision.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I wish I had noted where/who I copied this from to give them credit.
The three best we have used are Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air, and Old Air Products. I have done a few dozen of each, and the following is my opinion. For the 65-66, the CAA works best. For the 67-68, the CAA or OAP. For the 69-70, VA. For the 71-73, CAA. All three have kits for Mustangs; some work better in certain years than the others. Get the electronic controls over the cable versions.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Do any of the kits take into consideration early Mustangs with the Eaton power steering pump. Factory power steering cars with the Eaton PS pump have the PS reservoir mounted on the apron. Do any of the kits supply the parts to relocate the PS reservoir?

The Ford (Thompson) PS pump has a different housing. The filler neck is at a 45 degree angle toward the firewall on factory AC cars. I guess the pump needs to be swapped out if you're upgrading to AC on these vehicles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My '68 390 had Vintage Air added before I acquired it. I don't know how long ago the installation was done so I don't know if the components have been updated. The system seems to work well, but I haven't used it much as I prefer 2-60 a/c (two windows down at 60 mph). The vents are rather cheap but I see updated side vents are now available. The middle vents do adjust up & down as well as left & right, but the mounting design is not good. The system was installed without the proper engine pully and kept throwing belts; it needs a three belt pulley. Sorry I can't provide you with more information.

·
Registered
138 Posts
One more thing to consider, is if you have a center console or not. I have both a CAA in a 65 and a OAP in a 68. For my money the CAA system tends to cool better and I think it’s because the evaporator box is bigger. With that being said, you have to do more to get it to fit. If you have a console you will need to trim it quite a bit. In my 65 the center storage compartment is basically useless. That’s one of the reasons why I went with old air for the 68, I didn’t want to have to cut the original console. Also, what I like about old air over classic auto air, is you don’t have to drill the cowl firewall area to attach the evaporator box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, good point. I do have a original center console. So, it's back to the drawing board...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Can you mount the center vents vertically on the sides to the console if you have a center console?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you mount the center vents vertically on the sides to the console if you have a center console?
I am not quite sure what you mean...
In my case, I can use the "old" (original) vents, because my car was equipped with the original
factory a/c.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I am not quite sure what you mean...
In my case, I can use the "old" (original) vents, because my car was equipped with the original
factory a/c.

That's correct, You can use your existing vents. I was commenting on what xela.zue said about cutting up the console to mount the center vents. I was just wondering if the center vents could be mounted vertically on either side of the console for those without factor AC to avoid cutting up the console.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts