Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's correct, You can use your existing vents. I was commenting on what xela.zue said about cutting up the console to mount the center vents. I was just wondering if the center vents could be mounted vertically on either side of the console for those without factor AC to avoid cutting up the console.
I think the vents are not the problem. I think it is the "bigger" evaporotor box which has to fit under the dashboard,
below the glove compartment. And this box is coming in conflict with the center console.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T830 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
That's correct, You can use your existing vents. I was commenting on what xela.zue said about cutting up the console to mount the center vents. I was just wondering if the center vents could be mounted vertically on either side of the console for those without factor AC to avoid cutting up the console.
The installation video I saw installing a CAA kit came with a glove insert that was not as deep to replace the original glove box to clear the vent. It's about 22:14 into the video.

It doesn't look like the vent box would be notable behind a factory console.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Video shows an installion for a 65-66 Mustang. I am not 100% sure, but I think there are differences between the kit for a 65-66 Mustang and the one for a 67 Mustang. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Administrator
19,646 Posts
I don't quite get it. I can't think of a very good reason to throw away a perfectly good factory AC setup away in favor of an aftermarket system with compromises. Now if you had no AC at all to start with and live somewhere where it id difficult to source the parts to convert to original type AC, a full kit would be very sensible. As it is, the first reply in the thread seemed like it absolutely nailed it.
In my case, I was able to scrounge up the parts to convert my '67 to factory in-dash AC. The rest I haven't gotten to and don't care. Because it will only take a few minutes with a credit card and a kit like post #2 will be on the way whenever I'm ready. Upgraded compressor, upgraded hoses, and an upgraded condenser plus the stock in dash setup are a perfect combination if you ask me. For a car that does not need to be "correct" anyway.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The Video shows an installion for a 65-66 Mustang. I am not 100% sure, but I think there are differences between the kit for a 65-66 Mustang and the one for a 67 Mustang. Correct me if I am wrong.

The CAA system I purchased for my '67 Mustang a few months ago did not include any new glove box insert. There is not an exceptional amount of room between the stock glove box and the new A/C box but it all fits.

·
Administrator
19,646 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the lack of room? Sounds a tad odd. I have factory '67 AC (that I swapped in). Back behind the glovebox to the passenger side I have a modestly sized four channel amplifier in place for the front speakers. Because there was room for it there basically.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the lack of room? Sounds a tad odd. I have factory '67 AC (that I swapped in). Back behind the glovebox to the passenger side I have a modestly sized four channel amplifier in place for the front speakers. Because there was room for it there basically.
The following picture is the only one I have from during the installation process. This just shows the box installed before all the ducts. The setup is quite different from stock especially with the ducting to run the center vent and the defrost. The stock, single defrost duct is replaced with individual ducts for each side.

The center vent and the defrost then each have two duct tubes connecting them. There is then a duct from each side vent. These all connect to junction box immediately behind the radio. They are all snaked around to fit properly and it eats up quite a bit of space compared to how the stock center and defrost vents (at least) are connected.

This is the CAA Perfect Fit Elite A/C system with the electronic servos which operate the ducts. There would be no way to fit an amplifier behind the glove box with this setup or at least I wouldn't do it.

·
Administrator
19,646 Posts
Thanks. I was just curious, having never seen that view of one. I have to say it looks very clean and competent. I certainly see what you mean about how different it looks from an OEM box.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts