Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide on an aftermarket cam for Dees67. I've had several recommendations for
Isky's Mega 264 (214/214, adv 264/264, lift 0.480). And I know lots of folks running a 204/214
split profile cam and are happy with it. I like the specs of the Isky, but I'm afraid it's going to be
too rough an idle for SWMBO. I think camachinist is running one, anyone else? How's the idle?
I believe the torque will be terrific, but if it idles like a Winston Cup car, SWMBO will make me
swap the cam and I don't want to have to do that. On the other hand, the car is a cruiser and has
a 2.79:1 rear gear so I need all the torque I can get, given the idle constraints.

Also, can someone post the specs on a stock C-code 289 cam for comparison's sake?

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band: Brickyard Blues

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Ran one years ago in my street racer....idled fine with just a hint of lifter noise....(solid lifter version)

I've been recommending the SVO A311 lately but this cam would work fine too....

Both these cams are similar (not the same as) to the HP 289 cam...

I'll check back in my old muscle parts catalog and see if they have the stock specs....likely around .380 lift and a bit under 200 degrees @.050"

With your rear gear and any performance cam, I'd recommend an 11", 2200rpm stall converter...it'll help the driveability a bunch...I ran a slightly looser B&M in my street racer with 3.50's and ran 14.60's....ran 14.00's with 4.62's...corked up on street tires...

Not bad for a mild engine....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
5,196 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pat,

I'm definitely planning on running a 2000-ish RPM converter with a tranny cooler. I'm just
getting a little paranoid about the idle. A little bit of burble will be ok - I want SWMBO to
get used to a _little_ bit. It sounds like the Isky will be ok on that score. But tell me about
this A311 cam - I didn't know SVO had anythin suitable for early model 289's. I thought
the A303 was the closest thing and that that was a roller cam. Is this A311 new? And
why are you recommending it?

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GT350. Ugh - those specs are pretty lame. If that's what I was driving around with before,
I can't wait to get this new motor up and running - Woo-Hoo!

Rich
'69 GT FB (project car)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Read here for more info on this cam...

Nice dual pattern, low rpm piece, likely made for SVO by Crane...

Run the part number for the cam and lifters (check the rest of the site for other SVO stuff) by Summit and they can likely get you the best price...I built nearly the entire engine in the race car out of the SVO catalog and it was very cost effective vs. the alternatives...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts