Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the hunt. Trying to put some direction behind my gauge cluster here.
I have the original 66 Gauge cluster, that is looking a little rough. I'd really like to avoid adding an external (add on column) tachometer if possible.
I've got an American Autowire conversion I did for a plug and play harness for the gauges and need to wire appropriately.
I'm running a 4r70w with US shift controller that I'd like to utilize the electronic speedo output on as well.

A quick google search turned to show that mainly dakota digital gauges seem to be the most affordable and best looking in my mind, and I say that with high sarcasm. Cause there isn't anything affordable about them. (maybe I say that because I just bought holley sniper, US shift controller, and classic auto air and I'm feeling a bit low on funds). I'm not seeing a ton of options for a turn key kit in the sub $700 range.
There is the intellitronix digital kit for around $300, but it looks a bit hokey honestly. I had digital gauges like that in an old T type Regal motor swap project back in high school. They never seemed to be really pleasing to the eye.

What are you guys using??? Pictures/links would be awesome!

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Side note- I really like the speedo/tach combined look.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I just put in Classic Instruments. I have a Rallt-Pak so I went with the standard speedo.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put in Classic Instruments. I have a Rallt-Pak so I went with the standard speedo.
View attachment 750875
Curious, what did it run you?
I went with SpeedHuts and did a custom design for the tach. I also put the Mustang logo on the speedo. Ive been very happy with them.
View attachment 750876
That looks like a 67+?
I have Speedhuts in a GT cluster. The Speedo is GPS, with an 8,000 rpm tach built in. I like the Speedhut quality.

Rusty
Did you have to use your existing gauge pod? Or did it come with a new one? What did this run you?
I really like this!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I used a repro GT cluster and ordered the gauges from Speedhut. The cluster just needs the holes opened up a bit for the 2-1/16” gauges. The speedo is 4” and installs from the front. Also, the speedo has turn/high beam indicators built in.
Their Spring sale is on right now, 15% off.

Rusty

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also went with Classic Instruments, the Hot Rod series. I also bought the LED option, well worth the money. Total cost was around $700 back in 2017. Sorry for the poor pic, that’s all I have.
BFA168CE-D693-4EB3-BF3D-BC5A79ED578A.jpeg

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I plan to install a set of Marshall Bluelines I have had sitting around for years when it goes back together:

If you ask me, for gauges, stepper motor, full sweep, and LED lighting is a must...otherwise might as well stay stock.

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan to install a set of Marshall Bluelines I have had sitting around for years when it goes back together:

If you ask me, for gauges, stepper motor, full sweep, and LED lighting is a must...otherwise might as well stay stock.
Very sharp!!! I dig em!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Very sharp!!! I dig em!
I found a picture of the actual gauges...though at the time I had them in the cluster for a different project car(except boost gauge, which is VDO, since I didn't buy a Marshall boost gauage at the time) in real liughting without the backlighting they are more subtle:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I went with SpeedHuts and did a custom design for the tach. I also put the Mustang logo on the speedo. Ive been very happy with them.
View attachment 750876
Thank you XJ220. Something that really stands out about these gauges and what I REALLY like about them is their needle sweep ranges! Notice that most sweep 135 degrees or close to it. Are those connected to mechanical senders or are they electric?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm on the hunt. Trying to put some direction behind my gauge cluster here.
I have the original 66 Gauge cluster, that is looking a little rough. I'd really like to avoid adding an external (add on column) tachometer if possible.
I've got an American Autowire conversion I did for a plug and play harness for the gauges and need to wire appropriately.
I'm running a 4r70w with US shift controller that I'd like to utilize the electronic speedo output on as well.

A quick google search turned to show that mainly dakota digital gauges seem to be the most affordable and best looking in my mind, and I say that with high sarcasm. Cause there isn't anything affordable about them. (maybe I say that because I just bought holley sniper, US shift controller, and classic auto air and I'm feeling a bit low on funds). I'm not seeing a ton of options for a turn key kit in the sub $700 range.
There is the intellitronix digital kit for around $300, but it looks a bit hokey honestly. I had digital gauges like that in an old T type Regal motor swap project back in high school. They never seemed to be really pleasing to the eye.

What are you guys using??? Pictures/links would be awesome!
I did a re wire with American AWire. Dakota digital gauges built in little tech I like it.
7CFC68DB-538E-408C-B1E7-4DE85CE0C692.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did a re wire with American AWire. Dakota digital gauges built in little tech I like it. View attachment 750905
Yeah, I really dig those, but they are way expensive. Isn't the cluster upwards of $1200?

Also, pancakes look nice. LOL Not sure why you added those additional photos.

Reactions: G.T.350-R

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Both Classic Instruments and New Vintage USA make complete, direct fit, gauge packages. You might want to take a peek, and kits start a lot lower but still not "cheap."

Reactions: cturboaddict

·
Registered
66 Mustang
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reactions: swooshdave
1 - 20 of 39 Posts