Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few hours found out I blew out the fuel gauge when I was testing it while installing a new voltage regulator. I'm going to order an autometer gauge & figured I would put in a clock & voltmeter. I have an oil & temp gauge under the dash already, so I would like to make sure I order the right ones. I am looking at 2 1/16" sport comp to fit over the bezel. I read were others have cut out an 2 1/8 opening w/a hole saw, & I believe placed though the top with the ring of the new gauge resting on the instrument cluster. Not sure if it goes underneath. I assume I can use the stock fuel sender as well as the orignal wires for the voltmeter? Just need to tap a 12v constant source for the power? Am I on the right track. One last thing. If I wanted to put in a new electric speedometer, do I need different sender & if so how difficult are those to wire up.

thanks & sorry for all the questions.

·
Administrator
13,032 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you located in the Bay Area? Take a couple of minutes and fill out your bio, too. I had a good friend make me up some. Click here to see them. If you're close to the East Bay, let me know and I can show them to you in person and give you my friend's number. (By the way, BAMA meets this Tues in Castro Valley at 7:30)
Stan

·
Registered
376 Posts
As far as the electronic speedo.I installed mine a few weeks ago in my 65.I have a 93 T5 trans.I ordered the sender with my gauges.It is a straight forward as far as wiring.There is three wires.One is 12v with ignition on,the other is the sender for speedo,and the other is ground.All the autometer gauges need constant 12v with ignition on.GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pics of the gauge setup are nice.they look just as good as the aftermarket ones for sale. I will check out the bama. Im on the peninsula, so a little far from castro valley, but I will try to check you guys out.

I will try the electric speedo since it seems pretty straight foward. although this is the first time I have really worked on a car myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts