Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an aftermarket heater in their custom? I'm tossing around the idea of going with something other than the stock unit to save space and possibly add A/C. I know there are quite a few offerings out there in the Street Rod world and I just wondered what experience our gurus here have had.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There are several choices for a AC/Heat unit. Vintage Auto Air (have used and was pleased) Classic Auto Air (have not used in a Mustang but in 63 Bird, was OK) and Old Air Products (I have not used but is being used by Unique Performance in Shelby clones) All of these are about the same price $1000 and have the same basic design. Let me know if you need more info,
Phil

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
I went with the Vintage Air A/C & Heater, wish I could give you some feed back but it hasn't been on the road to give any.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I removed my heater, I installed a set of seat heating elements like the new cars have. They keep me toasty warm. A complete kit runs about $100 bucks.

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I'm at the "make the firewall look nice" stage, I'm looking at heaters again, anyone else have any insight into aftermarket heaters? What did you use? Links? Pics? How do you like it? If I can smooth over/relocate the heater blower hole and water lines that would be great. AC is looking good too, although I don't know where I'll fit all that crap under the hood...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
reeinmachine's DOHC SuperSnake vert is running a Vintage Air streetrod heat/AC unit and running the heater hoses thru the PS sidewall of the cowl and along the inner fender. There's a pic around here somewhere, it looks really slick. VMFer Edavilleman is doing the same thing with some help from reen and he's running an in-car blower motor as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts