Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need some help. I have a '69 mustang coupe that I purchased a set of Corbeau seats for. I am much less than happy with the seats... the thickness of both the seat and back are the problem. When I got them I got the mounting brackets to install in the original seat mounting holes. when I installed them my head was brushing the headliner and I was all scrunched up behind the steering wheel. I was able to modify the seat brackets allowing the seats to move farther back and now I can sit in them and drive but I still feel as if I am too high in the car and the seats now are so far back that you can't use the back seat. Before I purchase seats to replace the Corbeaus, I was looking for suggestions of seats that are a better fit....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have mid 80's SVO seat with TMI Mach 1 style covers. Used the stock tracks with slight modification so they sit at about stock height. I'm 5'11" and I have about 2-3" of head room. Love the seats. They have the blood pressure hand pump lumbar support and crank adjustable thigh bolsters. True mid-80's luxury at its finest.

Attachments

Reactions: Lukesportsman

·
Registered
‘69 Cougar convertible resto mod
97 Posts
Not period correct but I love the secure feeling I get afterI installed my Recaro Sport seats in my ‘69 Cougar. The stock seats had been recovered and had new foam but were flat, slippery and the frames flexed a lot from 50 years of usage. I’m happy with them.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I like the look of these. Did they bolt right in or did you have to modify anything?

Don't these have airbags in them?
Looks like he doesn't have seat risers. I have mocked up some BMW seats but they still sit too high and my hair rubs the roof.

I think Scat is best way forward. All the other options for seats are pretty expensive in the end.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looks like he doesn't have seat risers. I have mocked up some BMW seats but they still sit too high and my hair rubs the roof.

I think Scat is best way forward. All the other options for seats are pretty expensive in the end.
Interesting, I didn't notice that. The seat risers are a structural part of the car, so I definitely wouldn't get rid of them for seats. I'll have to look into scat. Do you know how much they run?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Depends on seat model but figure about 360-400 a seat and then 60 or so a seat for the adapter brackets.

They also have a kit to recover the rear for coupes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I still haven’t figured out what I am doing for seats yet due to this exact reason.

If you can, I would recommend finding someone with some Scat seats to test sit in them before buying.
I bought Scat Rally seats and have the exact problem you do. In general the seats are too tall in the front seat cushion area so it impinges on the steering wheel to leg room, and I have to recline way back to keep from hitting the headliner. I am 6’4”, but I could see how this would affect anyone over 6’.

Also, IMO the regular Scat Rally seat is too narrow unless you’re smaller/skinny. The bolsters squish you at the hip/butt area which is annoying. They have since come out with a XL version which is 2” wider in the hip area, but I believe the seat cushion will be just as tall.

Another option could be Mustangs to fear seats which are the same height as stock seats but with recline, power options, etc. However they are definitely more expensive than Scat seats.

Please update if you find a good solution..

·
Registered
972 Posts
I like the look of these. Did they bolt right in or did you have to modify anything?

Don't these have airbags in them?
The do not bolt in. The electric seat tracks on the 2011 are tall. I butchered them as much as possible and still found the seats much to high for my liking. In the end I bolted the original seat rails to the bottom and called it good.

They originally had air bags. The passenger seat still does, the drivers popped and the seat was repaired minus the air bag.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The do not bolt in. The electric seat tracks on the 2011 are tall. I butchered them as much as possible and still found the seats much to high for my liking. In the end I bolted the original seat rails to the bottom and called it good.

They originally had air bags. The passenger seat still does, the drivers popped and the seat was repaired minus the air bag.
Thanks. I've also considered getting the bolstered replacement foam for my stock deluxe bucket seats and adding head rests.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2005 Mustang seats on 69 Manual seat sliders. Just had to drill a hole. It fits a bit snug, but it works.

Used to have 2004 Tan cloth in it. Same thing, just had to drill a hole in the seat metal.

Reactions: steferg

·
Registered
453 Posts
JDM INTEGRA TYPE R Recaro seats in my 65. Super comfortable and keep you in place!

IMG_0200[1].jpg

Reactions: 7T02S

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I've got the ProCar seats by Scat on my '72. While they hug you and make the driving experience MUCH more fun, they're a pain to get in and out of (I'm a big though). Also, the bolster on drivers side is starting to show some bad signs of wear from getting in and out of the car (I daily drove it for about a year).

On my '65, I put some Fox body seats. Comfortable for daily driving and can be reupholstered to look like the original ones. I liked them so much, I got a set for my '73.

·
Registered
11 Posts
JDM INTEGRA TYPE R Recaro seats in my 65. Super comfortable and keep you in place!
Have you modified the seat platform and/or seat track?
Any height difference compared to stock seats?
How's the distance to the rocker?

I have more or less the same seats, but from an Mitsubishi Evo that I'm thinking of putting in a -69.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It w
Have you modified the seat platform and/or seat track?
Any height difference compared to stock seats?
How's the distance to the rocker?

I have more or less the same seats, but from an Mitsubishi Evo that I'm thinking of putting in a -69.
It has been a while but from what I remember, I bought a set of recaro adapters and bolted them in. No change in height or mods needed.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think Scat's Procar (available in a few colors) is best for budget if buying new.

I went TMI pro seats on my last purchase. They run some great promotions, got mine 30% off and they had I think 25% off at PRI when I stopped at booth. Unlike so many seat companies, these ARE built for older cars with appropriate sizes. Seem like good quality and cheaper than going full custom.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts