Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the radio/heater control cover and checked the width of it to see if I can put a CD player/radio unit in. Seems like it is the same width. Anyone get a unit in? Got pics? Are there kits for this if it doesn’t fit? I'm looking to put a standard 1/2 DIN in the dash. I have AC in the car to.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I recently saw an ad for someone selling the '69-'70 radio/heater control bezel that was already modified for a DIN size radio so it must fit. I think it's just a matter of cutting the opening wide enough for a DIN radio then using something to fill the gap from the original radio opening which is a little taller than a DIN opening. I wish I could remember who was selling the bezels but I know I saw the ad in a Mustang & Fords mag.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The bezel you refer to is available from Sacramento Mustang - both a retail shop, catalog store, and on-line store.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's tough to do with the stock bezel, but it CAN be done. What we've done in both my daughter's '69 and son's '69 is to cut the bezel right the the edge. Then we took a dremel and made the edges of the bezel and kept making them thinner and thinner just until the point that we could force the radio into it. It fit so tight in my son's car, we never even put any screws into it. In my daughter's, we drilled a small hole through the bezel and into the radio, then put a small self tapping screw into it to finish securing it.

Both came out very good.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was looking at it all again this morning. It seems that is what I will have to do. Unless... >:) I can always make a copy of the pannel out of sheet metal when I get my box/pan sheet metal brake!

Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I called them and asked them. You have to buy the entire stereo. They don't sell the custom radio bezel by itself.
Its not the companys fault. The stereo makers will not sell the part by itself, just the entire kit with stereo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.