Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put a couple switches in my 67. One for a backup for an electric fan, and I'll probably add foglights at some point. Just wondering what type of switch you used (Looking for something I could find locally, ideally) and where you mounted them? Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Do you have a lower console? The back of the radio faceplate already has indentions for the convience group indicator lights. I am considering mounting switches in these locations. If your original faceplate is nice, you could pick another faceplate to modify. The '69 Shelbys has 2 switches on the flat part of the console in front of the storage compartment. Again you might want to find an "extra" console piece to modify if you wanted to go that route.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,721 Posts
I never really did find a spot for switches that suited me. So I retrofitted this.. http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z277/GypsyR/Oheadconsole1.jpg
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. Bought at a swap meet I suspect it orginally came in an S10 Blazer. The temp+compass display I scrounged from a 96 Explorer. Not quite done, I need to secure the switch panel and label the switches.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, I like that upper console, but car doesn't even have close to an interior yet so I can't plan that far ahead.. :D

No lower console.. Is it a special radio plate, or just the normal one? Looking at my 67 plate now I can't really see any place where switches could go. But looking at it, I wonder if I could mount some almost recessed switches in the top of that! Wondering if it would hit the radio when I ever install it though> I have to chop it to DIN size anyways.

I was thinking underneath the regular light switch, on teh bottom of the dash, but feeling around there, I feel some recessed nuts. What are those for? The vent lever? Does it take up all the space or could I mount 2 other switches there?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I put small toggle switches in the cig lighter location. I made a plate that covers the hole for the lighter and drilled 3 holes for switches. I was not trying for the sleeper effect. I just did not want the racecar/fast&furious look. Close the ashtray and it all goes away.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortuantely I'm saving the ashtray for something awesome in the future.. I'm not quite sure what, but something.. :D Nitrous or something..

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
http://home.comcast.net/~whitetopcv/wsb/media/190864/site1114.JPG

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! No buttons on the shifter for me though, atl east not for fans or lights.. I think the recessed nuts I see are for the ebrake handle from the pic above then. How is that speed control attached? To the dash? Maybe I could see how if I looked at my car.

I'm still seriously considering a couple of these types http://www.dnagroup.com/cgi-bin/view_services.cgi?request=detail&prod_num=ARC&aisle_id=1

right above the radio (On the radio faceplate.. i guess the switches would be looking 'down'. I wonder if there is room for that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's the standard radio plate. The switches would mount on the side on the area next to the sliding door. If you look at the backside of the faceplate, you should see some indentions. This would be for the console faceplate only.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excuse the shoddy condition of this radio bezel (Unrelated, can i Just repaint it? I guess the pin holes in the chrome are done for though eh. NOthing really 'paints' like chrome I suppose...

Annnnyways.. I wanted to mount them here

But then I realized that flange sticks out an inch (The flange on the actual dash, that has the speed nut things in it). The tape measure shows the inch, so the switches would have to go behind that (By behind, I mean closer to the radio). It's a flip down radio too, so I'm not sure if the switches will interfere, but maybe not if I can get some low profile ones. I'd also like to find round rocker switches, so I can just drill, and not try to make a square hole (Which for me, is just impossible). If it's possible, it'll be close (The flip down making it the iffy part). I thought it would be kind of cool though. Maybe fog lights on the left (Inboard of the screws), my Check Engine Light in the middle, and my Fan on the right hand side? Opinions implored!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Wouldnt you stand the chance of flipping the switches when you adjust the radio?

I like those round switches, maybe on the flat bottom of the dash, isnt it about an inch or so in width?

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't really look like I'll be able to accidently flip them..

I think even normal, small square toggle switches would work better, except, I'm unsure of how to drill a perfect rectangular hole in that.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,687 Posts
If you are going for the stealth look there is a metal flange above the glove box that is hidden when the glove box is closed. I mounted the power antenna toggle and the power trunk release button there. Depending on the type of switch(es) you use, you may need to trim a little of the plastic glove box liner to clear when the glove box is open.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts