Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have most of my rear end clucks and clatters taken care of. I presently have the GR-2 shocks.

The lowered suspension easily bottoms out with these shocks. I've been recommended KYB's but a lot of people at VMF don't say great things about them.

I was thinking more of getting the pricier Konis for a better dampening.

Thoughts? Am I better off getting the Konis, or KYBs?

·
Registered
211 Posts
in a single word... yes!!! with all the modifications presently made to your car, the adjustable koni's would be a great addition. it adds another point to fine tune the suspension & handling characteristics vs. just having a gas shock.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
they are expensive, when I bought mine in 82 I got them for 50 bucks each wholesale, you will never have to buy another set of shocks though.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I would also consider the Bilsteins. Street or Track has them on sale. They have also been getting great reviews.

I have Edelbrock IAS and am very pleased with them.

Koni, Bilstein and Edlebrock are all a significant improvement over KYB's. KYB's main benefit is cost. If you can afford better, it is money well spent.

Tim

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think I'd have a hard time convincing myself to spend $600 on a set of shocks.If I did, it had better ride like a Lexus.
BTW, I think some people(including me) actually like bone jarring stiff suspension.
It does kinda suck on the real sharp bumps.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
erbssr said:
I think I'd have a hard time convincing myself to spend $600 on a set of shocks.If I did, it had better ride like a Lexus.
BTW, I think some people(including me) actually like bone jarring stiff suspension.
It does kinda suck on the real sharp bumps.
I spent no where near $600.00 and the Bilstein shocks changed the car completely.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
[/quote]
I spent no where near $600.00 and the Bilstein shocks changed the car completely.
[/quote]
I don't know about Bilsteens but the Koni's are $145 each & that comes to $600.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
erbssr said:
I don't know about Bilsteens but the Koni's are $145 each & that comes to $600.

That's what I'm saying, there is no need to spend that kind of coin for EXCELLENT handling and ride quality.

I have $350.00 in my Bilsteins at all four corners.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
Go with the Bilsteins you will be very happy.

Just look at the huge 1.5" dia. of the Bilstein tube compared to the KYB:

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vmf/bilstein_kyb.jpg

More oil, bigger piston, better performance.

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/rcd/shockmustangfrtrearset.jpg

The monotube design of these shocks is far superior than twin-tube designs and the digressive piston and valve plates negate the need for so-called 'adjustable shocks'.

The photo below dramatically illustrates the size difference between the working piston inside a Bilstein monotube shock and one found in a typical "twin tube" shock.

Mono Tube versus Twin Tube
http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/rcd/shockmonovstwintube.jpg

Just look at the size of the Bilstein piston! The Bilstein has a 228% larger surface area than the average conventional twin tube piston offering greater sensitivity and superior vehicle control.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
68fastwilliams said:
Go with the Bilsteins you will be very happy.

Just look at the huge 1.5" dia. of the Bilstein tube compared to the KYB:

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/vmf/bilstein_kyb.jpg

More oil, bigger piston, better performance.

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/rcd/shockmustangfrtrearset.jpg

The monotube design of these shocks is far superior than twin-tube designs and the digressive piston and valve plates negate the need for so-called 'adjustable shocks'.

The photo below dramatically illustrates the size difference between the working piston inside a Bilstein monotube shock and one found in a typical "twin tube" shock.

Mono Tube versus Twin Tube
http://www.streetortrack.com/files/images/rcd/shockmonovstwintube.jpg

Just look at the size of the Bilstein piston! The Bilstein has a 228% larger surface area than the average conventional twin tube piston offering greater sensitivity and superior vehicle control.
What's the ride like, with Bilsteins? I've got a heavy car, but have heard KYB's described as jumpy or hammering

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I just replace KYB Gas-a-justs with Konis on my 67 GT350. It has 550 springs in the front, 5-leafs in the rear.

The KYBs were bone jarring. Even a dip in the road would toss you around. I just assumed it was the strong springs but heard some good things about the ride of the Konis.

Set the Konis kind of soft (1/2 turn versus max of 2 full turns) and they are wonderful. All the sharp impacts and pitching around are gone but the handling is the same.

I have some Bilsteins for my 68 vert but it will be a couple of months before it is on the road.

If you decide to go with Gas-a-justs I have a barely used set I will sell you.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Was just in the US and got the chance to drive my sister's 65 GT350 clone. Stock suspension for the most part, larger sway bar, shelby drop and Koni's. REALLY nice ride, solid handling, not a lot of sway or bounce, and not harsh... fun, fun, fun!

That being said... I bought a set of Bilstien's for my '68 S GT coupe project, but it will be a while before I try them.

Decision was based on being ~1/2 the cost of Koni's, and the majority of folks I talked to who had used them that raved about them (as well as posts here) decided the few hundred saved could go to shipping more parts here to finish the coupe...

·
Registered
893 Posts
I put KYB's on my 66 coupe, 6 years ago, I paid $135.00 for the set of 4 and they still perform today the same as when I put them on. Personaly, I don't think they are bone jarring at all, not even close. They are a heavy duty shock and you do get a stiff ride but by no stretch would I consider them bone jarring. I read somewhere years ago that they were originally made for small pick up trucks. Don't know. The only thing I don't like about the KYB's is they are a little bouncy. Again, for me they're fine. I am sure the Koni's are the best shock in the world but I don't need the best shock in the world and I would never pay $600.00 for them. To each his own.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts