Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days a number of you kind souls gave me informative suggestions on why I might be having problems with the front drums on myu 65 and why I have very bad braking performance with the new brake system. I talked to Praise Dyno Brake today and they double checked the drums they sold me (by part number). Whoops, they forgot to notice that Ford did a mid-year change in 65 for 4-lug brake drums! The difference was the flange height at the point inside the drum where the sides and the face of the drum meet. Since that is exactly the location where the drums I have are seizing up on my brake shoes, it shows I have the wrong drums. They were very nice about it, admitted it was their fault, and are shipping me the different drums free of charge in about a week or so. Of course I am out the $250 machine shop charges and rental car costs from when I tried to adapt the drums to work. Moral of the story, call the parts supplier at the first sign of trouble and don't try to fix it yourself. So, they sold me the wrong part, and thereby join a long illustrive list (mustang plus, NAPA, etc.) of suppliers that have not been able to get it right the first time with this car.

Praise also explained that the drums are tapered differently, so that the shoes are not matched to the drums and thus not making contact completely. Braking is degraded with the mis-matched hub. Oh yes, he said the primary, or short, shoe goes towards the front of the car. At least that mystery is solved.

Thanks again for all of the help. I'll write again when the new drums are installed and hopefully, braking is up to snuff. Until then, I have to shift the car to neutral in order to stop it when the automatic choke is operating!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
good prctice is to keep old parts and get any differences explained in writing. glad you got it resolved albeit at a high cost.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts