Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure we've all either experienced or heard of leaf spring bolts frozen to the eye bolt bushings on our beloved cars. I was removing a 6 cyl rear from a '67 last night and the passenger side came off without a hitch. Got to the driver side and it acted like it was going to spin the sleeve, turned it a little more and it popped loose, whew! Thankfully, I have not had to cut any of these bolts out in a while.

Gotta do the same thing tonight on another coupe, wish me luck!

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Lucky? You may want to purchase some lottery tickets while you are on a hot streak. ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
After seeing Charles' toolbox, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Snap-On tool specifically made for removing shackle bolts from '67 Mustangs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
CharlesTurner said:
I'm sure we've all either experienced or heard of leaf spring bolts frozen to the eye bolt bushings on our beloved cars. I was removing a 6 cyl rear from a '67 last night and the passenger side came off without a hitch. Got to the driver side and it acted like it was going to spin the sleeve, turned it a little more and it popped loose, whew! Thankfully, I have not had to cut any of these bolts out in a while.

Gotta do the same thing tonight on another coupe, wish me luck!

May the fleas of a thousand camels.......

Aw shucks, congrat's on the good fortune!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, nope, just a regular ol' deep 3/4 socket and long ratchet. The lock nuts actually came off real easy, as did the rear shackle nuts. Hoping the ones on the other car are as easy!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GT_SCODE said:
I was very relieved when mine came out easily! Now I have never really worked on an East Coast car so can't relate and hope I never have to!!!!
Cutting them off is a b*tch! Consider yourself lucky to never have been faced with that task.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was very lucky, Mine tapped right out. Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2nd car is supposedly a 55k original mile car, but it's been parked in my driveway for almost a year with a cover on it. We'll see... drum roll please! ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charles,
What do you use going back together to insure they come out just as easy next time? I usually use a healthy dose of anti seize

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually just put a little multipurpose grease on the bolt shaft.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh well.... luck ran out! Passenger side on the coupe came out, but driver side was completely frozen to the bushing. Sawzall is defunct, will no longer hold a blade, so decided to just leave the V8 springs on the car and swap out the rear with the I6 one. I'm sure my neighbors loved the sound of the impact taking off those u-bolt nuts last night! I hope bob is listening... as he has a unruly leaf spring bolt to cut off in the future! :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Lucky dog. My driver's side came off without a hitch, but the passenger side had to be cut out on mine. Took 5 recip blades and an afternoon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts