Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I screwed up one of the wheels on the new car and I need to replace it.

The wheel I need to replace is a 17x8 TTII with 4.75 bs.

Since I am buying all new tires for this car and for the 65 as well...I figured why not get wheels that fit the rear with the need for spacer to make them look right. (the 68 has a versailles rear which require 3/8 spacers to push the wheels out to the same track as the front).

So then I thought....well heck....I have this nice wheel chart...and I have to buy new tires to go with this wheel why not step it up a bit a put 17x9.5 on the rear. If I order them with 5.25 backspacing then I won't need to use the spacers anymore in the rear and I can very safely put a 275 40 17 on the car which would like nice I think.

Problem is that TTIIs don't come in that size unless you order them custom. So the cost for 2 rims would be roughly $820 plus wait time.

So them I started thinking...hell I could all new wheels on the car for that price and looked around. And yes, I can buy 4 chrome wheels in 17x8 4.75 and 17x9.5 with a 6mm offset (roughly 5.5 backspacing which would fit and i did still want to space them out a little bit would require a MUCH thinner spacer over all). Then I could easily pick up an extra 17x8 a little later and have a full set to put on my 67.

And now I am stuck in analysis paralysis and finding it hard to make a decision.

I already have the tires so I believe my choices are:

1. Don't spend anymore money. I have 6 TTiis for my 65 (I have track tires). Dismount the track tires and put the new 275 40 17 for the 68 onto a 17x8, put it on the car, use the spacer and don't look back.
2. Buy another 17x8
3. Buy 4 new wheels for the 68
4. Order the custom sized ttii wheels for the 68

Tires that I will be running this go round are:
65: 235 40 17 front and 255 40 17 rear
68: 235 45 17 front and 275 40 17 rear

The 67 is still sporting the 14 inch cragers.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Such problems to have!

What about door number 5, I personally love the old school look - narrow the Lincoln rear to a common size and go deep dish which would look great with so much meat back there . Someone recently published a great 411 on narrowing a 9".

From the peanut gallery...

M

For every problem there is always a harder way to do it...

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
So what kind of wheels are behind door #3? I guess it depends on if you like the current wheels or not, as to whether to buy a single 17x8 or go with a new set....assuming the new set of 4 are different than whats on there now.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what kind of wheels are behind door #3? I guess it depends on if you like the current wheels or not, as to whether to buy a single 17x8 or go with a new set....assuming the new set of 4 are different than whats on there now.
I like TTiis. That is why I already have 6 of them for my 65.

If I were to buy 4 new rims essentially for the same price as 2 custom TTiis....these caught my eye because unlike the TTii which have a 'step' in them...these would have a very nice dish look with all in chrome versus two tone

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
MB Old Schools are nice. Not chrome but here is a thread about the gray ones: Since we're talking new shoes....MB Old School

I vote for a set of rims different than what you have on the 65, but comes down to $$$ and your own preference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts