Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed Fitech EFI and now my 13" Ford Racing round air cleaner won't fit, the base hits the throttle body. For those who have installed the unit any suggestions on which air cleaner to use, which also won't hit the hood?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Have you thought about using an air cleaner spacer that will go on top of the FiTech unit? Spectre has one part #4950 that actually has 3 different sizes 1/4", 1" and 1.5". From the sound of it the 1/4" should do the trick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you thought about using an air cleaner spacer that will go on top of the FiTech unit? Spectre has one part #4950 that actually has 3 different sizes 1/4", 1" and 1.5". From the sound of it the 1/4" should do the trick.

Yes, I considered it but there is limited space to the hood already.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes, I considered it but there is limited space to the hood already.

Do you have a spacer between the intake and FiTech that you can take out? Right now I have a 1" spacer, and have to test fit the FiTech to see if I need to remove it. With EFI I don't think I'll need it since the system is always pressurized and not like a carb where it will boil off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I used the same drop down base I had on my previous Holley 750 DP and it fit fine. I seem to remember there being some type of limiting factor from FiTech regarding the use of drop bases, mine is about 1 5/8" drop on a 14".

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I need to edit my response, my existing drop down base just won't quite clear with the hoses connected. I will likely "Z" mine away with a coupler and a 90* fitting to keep my drop down base, although I ordered a slightly less drop down offset base to check out as well, something is going back to Summit either way, base or fittings.

Just wanted to make sure good info is out there for future searches.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I need to edit my response, my existing drop down base just won't quite clear with the hoses connected. I will likely "Z" mine away with a coupler and a 90* fitting to keep my drop down base, although I ordered a slightly less drop down offset base to check out as well, something is going back to Summit either way, base or fittings.

Just wanted to make sure good info is out there for future searches.
Z'ing your lines will probably take care of the air cleaner clearance issues. Its all I needed to get my stock 428 Cobra Jet air cleaner to clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts