Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can already tell that this is a stupid quesiton, but I have to ask it. I just bought the "high performance" k code type air cleaner for my car, and the old one had a tube that attached to another tube that went down into the engine. Now there is no connecting tube on this air cleaner to attatch to the OTHER tube, so it is left bare, just sticking out not going into anything. i know I dont know the right terms to use for what I am trying to explain, but if anyone can tell me what I need to do with this tube before I can drive my car? thanks in advance

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Where is the tube "left sticking out" comming from? Is the hot air riser comming from the passenger exhaust manifold (big fat giant sized tube), or is it attached to the oil fill cap on the driver's side valve cover? (or is it something else that's not comming to my mind at the moment *LOL*).

If it's the breather tube from the oil fill cap, replace the oil fill cap with one that is vented (and filtered), but doesn't have the provision for the breather tube.

If it's the heat riser, just pull it off and throw it in a drawer.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am referring to the big fat tube. So if I understand correctly, it is unesesary to keep on the car at this point?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's entire job is to get warmer air to the carb from around the exhaust manifold while the engine is cold (the exhaust manifold will heat up more quickly than the rest of the engine so makes a great place to suck warm air from). Warm air atomizes the fuel mixture better.

It's not a necessary thing. The car will heat up and run just fine without it. You'll never even know it's gone, as now the carb is going to breath better anyway through the open filter.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts